Battery Discharge

HogHog

I've got an '06 plate Dyna Superglide - 35th Anniversary Edition.:smile: I haven't put it on "trickle charge" while it's been parked up - and sure enough the battery went flat.:redface:

Questions:
1. How long would you expect the battery to hold it's charge?
2. Where can I buy a trickle charger that fits into the Factory Fitted connector on the side of the bike without having to re-mortgage the house and sell the wife to buy a Genuine Harley one?

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice I am going to receive.......:sign0060:

Re: Battery Discharge

Must be something wrong to go flat after just being parked up.

I've not used my bike for two to three weeks and it's always spun the starter over fine.

I believe that Optimate do a charger with the connector you need.

Check out Ebay for Optimate 3 chargers. Bought mine around 3 years ago and cost was approx. ?30. Well worth it.:439:

mines been parked up since december, only being used once every couple of weeks and its started up first time everytime.
dan

M&P have the Datatool charger in their sale for ?34.99. it has the same connector as the Optimate III, although I don't know if that's what you have fitted already...? It doesn't matter if it's not the same, as both the Datatool and Optimate come complete with a fused connector to bolt permanently to your battery.

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catRef=539586

Thanks everyone - you guys are quick with the help..!!

Will look for an Optimate charger, and will also tell the dealer that I think there is a fault.

(Still can't get over how quick help and advice came..)

Yes I have a 06 softail and have an optimate connected.

It seemed to be the alarm which pulls it down, the first sign was I found it
a bit troublesome switching off the alarm. The bike started ok.

Have had no problems since, of course in the perfect world I would ride the softail more.

I have just been keeping it plugged in when not in use.

Leadbelly

you could also think about fitting to to the frame or a pate, a perminant power off socket, RS components do serveral options, doesnt have to be as big as a car cig- lighter one, they look neat and you can charge up or run stuff off, if you need any info let us know.

This may seem like a silly point but you have tried to start it?

I had the same thing on 2005 bike. "went flat" over a two month period, i found a trickle charge and hooked it up and the same thing happened no life, beeps, flashes etc when i pressed the fob.

So went for the good old option of trying anyway, turned the ignition and alarm went mad! pressed my fob and it went off, tried to fire engine and fired quicker than me heading to a buffet!

Morale of the story if in doubt try anyway!

Gordon
:wink:

That's a good point skikool: my '03 Softail goes into a sort of 'sleep mode' if left unused for ages (i.e. winter). The red key stops flashing, and it doesn't respond to the plipper. Like you, I had the plipper to hand, turned on the ignition, and hit the button as the siren started.
Maybe there's some inbuilt protection, that shuts something down if it's left for a long period, and maybe if I had read the two hundred and forty seven pages that cover the alarm system in the Owner's manual it would have told me so....:60277EB7B04744289C0

Same thing has happened with raven's Sporty. She doesn't get out on her bike as much as I do, and finds the alarm light has stopped flashing. Starts it anyways, the alarm goes off, silences the alarm and all is well. :wink:

If all else fails, RTFM....:wink:
Security will enter storage mode after 4 pre-selectable times: Check your manual on how to check and/or reset these times, and set to infinite if an Optimate is fitted.
Learn something new every day....

you could also think about fitting to to the frame or a pate, a perminant power off socket, RS components do serveral options, doesnt have to be as big as a car cig- lighter one, they look neat and you can charge up or run stuff off, if you need any info let us know.

i could do with something to connect my air bed pump to when out camping will one o these fittings allow for that and you say ya can charge her up through the same fitting all i have at the moment is two wires at the side o me battery case fer putting charger to:439: :D

If the key symbol is not flashing, then try turning the ignition on then off again very Quickly.

Dyna ('06 Street Bob) owners tome, page E-33, about half way down.

This may seem like a silly point but you have tried to start it?

I had the same thing on 2005 bike. "went flat" over a two month period, i found a trickle charge and hooked it up and the same thing happened no life, beeps, flashes etc when i pressed the fob.

So went for the good old option of trying anyway, turned the ignition and alarm went mad! pressed my fob and it went off, tried to fire engine and fired quicker than me heading to a buffet!

Morale of the story if in doubt try anyway!

Gordon
:wink:

I'm a Technophobe and pay no attention to lights, flashing or otherwise, except the ones on those lovely dark blue volvos, you know the bright blue ones that flash on and off and the cars are driven by splendid chaps wearing hats who allow you to purchase Reward Points, usually in sets of 3 for ?60 a set.:smile: Once you have 12 reward points they make sure your licence is safe by taking it away to a safe storage area for a year.:frown:

Actually the reason I discovered the problem, then "posted", was that all of the family were out, it was dry, and I thought I could sneak a quick blast on the bike. Went to the garage, did the necessary with buttons etc, Pressed the "Run" button and it didn't!!:mad:

Still - ordered my trickle charger and soon I'll be....:60277EB7B04744289C0

Back