Battery recommendations please

The problem with AGM Battery’s is they should never be left to discharge to almost empty, less than 20% of its full capacity. If this happens a Charger will not see a battery connected and will not charge it and so people go and buy a new Battery thinking the Battery is Fcuked!
You can recover a very low charged Battery by connecting another good Battery in parallel and then connecting the Charger to the good Battery. Check every hour to see if the old Battery is getting Hot. Warm is ok but Hot indicates an internal problem, maybe shorted plates. If Hot, stop charging and go buy a new Battery.
Use a Smart Charger that is designed for AGM Battery’s as they usually have a Desulfation setting that helps to recondition the Plates in the Battery helping recovery and prolonging its life. Smart Chargers charge AGM Batteries at a higher Voltage than normal Chargers, 14.6-14.8V as opposed to 13.8-14.4V. AGM Battery’s need this higher Voltage to charge correctly.

That's a really useful tip ST898 - my current battery reads 17v and then, when under load across a single 12v bulb fluctuates between 7 and 1v - it's defo fooked!! But if I ever have trouble charging a low bat on one of those so called "intelligent" chargers that parallel battery tip is now in the bank! 😎

That's a really useful tip ST898 - my current battery reads 17v and then, when under load across a single 12v bulb fluctuates between 7 and 1v - it's defo fooked!! But if I ever have trouble charging a low bat on one of those so called "intelligent" chargers that parallel battery tip is now in the bank! 😎
Glad to help. :)

H-D batteries are good, but ridiculously expensive, my battery of choice is Motobatt (Heavy Duty), it's also a good battery and is half the price!

I only ever put HD batteries in mine
The current manufacturer that supplies Harley Davidson with the majority of their batteries is DEKA from the USA. Previous to DEKA it was YUASA, still the OEM component for most Japanese motorcycles, again another quality battery. You can buy both DEKA or YUASA batteries direct or you can have a H-D black case battery for considerably more - but it's the same battery! Anything with a H-D logo and part number commands a premium price.

The quality of a battery is dependant on the quality of the internals, mainly the plates, not what's on the outside, i.e. the case, you can have the same box with different quality plates and internal technology, even Yuasa do this, just look in there catalogue and the battery options & specs. for the same bike, they are all in the same case, good batteries are not cheap!
I would suggest if you go for a Yuasa look at Halford as they have been very competitive on price recently!

Regards AGM (VRLA) batteries if you leave them deep discharged i.e. flat for any considerable length of time they will not recover!
If you over charge a AGM battery and effectively boil off the electrolyte, there is no way of replacing it and it will not recover, so the old method of trying to disulphate a battery by applying a high charge rate to get effervescence on the plates to disulphate it will destroy the battery in a very short time!

The current manufacturer that supplies Harley Davidson with the majority of their batteries is DEKA from the USA. Previous to DEKA it was YUASA, still the OEM component for most Japanese motorcycles, again another quality battery. You can buy both DEKA or YUASA batteries direct or you can have a H-D black case battery for considerably more - but it's the same battery! Anything with a H-D logo and part number commands a premium price.
That will be why my HD tattoos were more expensive than my other ones 😆

I agree there is no such thing as a cheap good battery, quality always costs, but what I am saying is that anything bought from the H-D dealer comes with an added premium for nothing more than having a H-D sticker! A heavy duty Motobatt is in my opinion just as good as anything supplied by the dealer and half the price. Same goes for other good quality manufacturers - but ultimately it's for.each of us to decide how we spend our money, I just don't buy into the concept that for consumable items OEM is best. There are far better tyres, better oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, engine & transmission oil than that utilised by H-D and often at a cheaper price.

The is my preferred choice

WCP18 Westco Platinum Motorcycle Battery 12V 22Ah Y50-N18L-A2 (SVR18)​

Replaced the old one after 5 years of good service, not cheap but the old adage 'buy cheap but twice'

Last edited:
Back