Best coating for fork lowers?

Buck

Club Member
I’m starting to tidy the bike up as it is getting a bit tatty with use, the fork lowers look like a 14 year old ACNE sufferer the day after a packet of Mars Bars. What is the consensus on getting the coated? Chrome v powder coat v Cerakote? I have been looking around at other bikes but every one I see has low mileage so I cannot get an idea of what lasts well. Has anyone got experience of having done this?

Mine were powdercoated about 10 years ago. Havent needed owt since. Just a wipe down on occassion - im not a cleaner - Its around 30k and not used much off season (i have a Chinelli as a second bike). A good coater will see you right.

Then there's the natural colour.
According to the medium used, i.e. sand (different grades will produce diff results), walnuts, slurry, etc. will alter the tone of the lowers and the reflectivity; and then top coated with something, be it flat, satin or gloss according to the rest of the bikes scheme, that resists uv weathering, road detritus abrasion, salt, etc.

I don't remember it ever being mentioned, but can you powder coat clear on bare metal that has enough of a surface for it to adhere?

I’m starting to tidy the bike up as it is getting a bit tatty with use, the fork lowers look like a 14 year old ACNE sufferer the day after a packet of Mars Bars. What is the consensus on getting the coated? Chrome v powder coat v Cerakote? I have been looking around at other bikes but every one I see has low mileage so I cannot get an idea of what lasts well. Has anyone got experience of having done this?
It's the varnish HD use that makes it look tatty after a while, I just took off the varnish with stripper and cleaned them up with Solvo Autosol and gave them a polish. I now just clean them up for a few minutes every now and again.
BTW it's a 2003 with over 106k on. (y)

Attachments

• fork2.jpg
    fork2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 20
I'm with Skip, BaZa and Mick here. I've always stripped off the lacquer on all the Harleys I've owned. Once they've had a good going over with wet and dry just an occasional wipe over with Scotch brite every few years works well. Rob Gunter has some good photos of him doing his.

What sort of stripper did you use for the Varnish Baza? Mine look like a 14 year old with severe Acne! Seeing the photo I would like mine to be somewhere near as good as yours.

It's the varnish HD use that makes it look tatty after a while
It is the clear coat that Showa apply. Forks have not changed in my estimation over 45 years. Once the clear coat takes a stone chip or two the forks look rubbish.

So as the above use a paint stripper to remove the clear coat and then polish up the alloy as much as you like. I used the stuff from Hycote and it did a good job.

I have been through all the grades of paper to 2000 and then a final polish to get a mirror finish. Once done it only needs a wax coating to protect them.

When I did my Road King about 14 years ago, I removed the calipers, front wheel and mudguard so I could get into all the tight corners with a triangular detail sander. I first used nitromors paint stripper then various grades of wet and dry until it looked like chrome without any scratches anywhere. Then used Mothers Mag and Aluminium polish on different buffing wheels in a drill. When that was done, I coated the entire surfaces with Poorboy's Aluminium wheel sealant. After all this time, it still shines like I want it to. I occasionally coat it again in wheel sealant when I feel like it, but it doesn't always need it.
If you go this route, make sure to completely cover the front of the bike up......and yourself, you'll look like a coal miner after doing this. It took me a whole Saturday, but was worth it.

Brian.

Last edited:
It is the clear coat that Showa apply. Forks have not changed in my estimation over 45 years. Once the clear coat takes a stone chip or two the forks look rubbish.

So as the above use a paint stripper to remove the clear coat and then polish up the alloy as much as you like. I used the stuff from Hycote and it did a good job.

I have been through all the grades of paper to 2000 and then a final polish to get a mirror finish. Once done it only needs a wax coating to protect them.
nitromors paint stripper, but read Mr B's answer after mine that's how I do mine.

Got it fellas thanks. I was worried about the paint stripper eating the Ali. Another little job on my list! I have got to do the Fork Seals so when its all apart will be a good time to crack on. Is there ever an end to these jobs? scratch_head
Thanks again. :thank_you:
I forgot to say, Halal Tims legs look good too.

Back