"Best" tyre for 2003 Sportster S 1200 ?

ChrisR

Club Member
Hi all,

It's time to replace my ancient Avon Venom X (100/90-19 57H front, 90B16 74H rear) and I'm wondering if you all have any personal favourites you'd recommend? I'm currently favouring a set of Avon Cobra Chromes. Cheers in advance, Chris.

I had good service and value from a Metzler Perfect but I think they don't make it anymore...typical!

Can't go wrong with Avon tyres, been making outstanding tyres for donkeys years. Back in The 70s when I first started riding the only 2 tyres of choice to have were Dunlop TT100s or Avon Road Runners and whilst I think Dunlop tyres (personally speaking) are now an inferior tyre, especially in the wet, Avon's remain a top supplier - Storms fitted to the XR Sporty and a Cobra Chrome to the Fat Bob. If Harley Davidson had any sense they would fit Avon's as standard fitment, as Triumph do for their top selling Bobber. Best of all Avon is British - so supporting a manufacturer in our own country instead of abroad is an added bonus!

I've got Bridgestone BattleCruise H50s on my 1200S. They seem OK and handle the odd bit of hooliganism over the hills.

Best of all Avon is British - so supporting a manufacturer in our own country instead of abroad is an added bonus!
Actually, Avon Tyres are now American-owned. They were bought out by the Cooper Tire Company in the U.S., who in turn were taken over by Goodyear, who also own the Dunlop brand...

Interesting stuff. My bike (2003 vintage from new) originally came with - not quite sure - what-was-supplied-at the time from the dealership? Shortly after I changed to Avon Venom X. For reasons I can't remember. I then put on ~4,000 miles and (sad to say, some 19 years later) has only now come out of mothballs. The Avons on it, aren't cracked, look fine and the tread (unsurprisingly) is still perfect. But... they're 19 year old tyres. My local dealership did advise me of the tyre age and in passing mentioned they'd never heard of "Venom X" and being well out of date (me) on "what's what" these days I thought I'd ask here what's current :) and thanks everyone for the replies. I've bought the Avon Cobra Chromes in the same size as the Venoms and will have them fitted in a week or so. I'm quite interested to see what (If any) difference there is, given I'll be skipping through almost 20 years in time... (tyre wise) and age wise - but we won't mention that ;-)

Any modern tyre (even a Woosung Ditchfinder - to use a made up name) will be better than a 19 year old tyre that will have lost virtually all of its elasticity over the years.
Tyres are a very personal choice. It depends on your riding style & how you like the bike to feel.
Personally, I find the Avon Cobra Chromes very good, but, to be honest, the previous tyres on the Deuce were Metzelers that were nearly 15 years old when I bought it so I don't have a lot to compare it with.
The Sportster has Maxxis DTR-1 flat tracker tyres which are fantastic on road, even if they do wear out rather quickly.

Thanks to you all for your thoughts and comments! :) Well, a pair of new Avon Cobra Chromes were fitted today. A ride back from the dealership (only 20 miles or so) mostly through A roads and a bit of town. First impressions? Less prone to "white lining" and following any ruts in the surface - which my previous tyres seemed prone to? Seems "grippy" enough, too early to tell though I guess. Overall? Happiness! Just passed 5,000 miles on my 2003 Sportster Sport on the way back home! It's a keeper for sure. Love it. Thanks all! :)

Reactions: M&M
Back