Brake pads

Why would you wait until October?

When was the last time you checked them?
That’s when I am going to replace the front tyre , I last checked at 5800 miles in October 22 , bike now has 8300 miles .
One pad was a lot worse , they are very hard to see in place , I took the caliper off to have a proper look .

Mine were just as bad after being done at 9800, now it's got 13280 on in 12 months they are gone.
Oh and fitted by Gateshead harley when I bought it.

8300 miles doesn’t seem a lot for a front brake pads , it may be where I have ridden sport bikes since I was 16 and have got used to using the front brake only .
Mine were just as bad after being done at 9800, now it's got 13280 on in 12 months they are gone.
Oh and fitted by Gateshead harley when I bought it.m

I have no clue on weight distribution but quite clearly when stopping the front does most of the work and stopping quickly or aggressively will put a higher rate of wear on the front. There is no way to stop quickly just using the back brake and I doubt it does much overall, IMO.

Perhaps you ought to check that the caliper slides freely if it's a floating type and the piston(s) move(s) properly such that you don't have any binding.

The front brake caliper is a solid type , when the bike is laid up for the winter I am going to service the caliper .

I have no clue on weight distribution but quite clearly when stopping the front does most of the work and stopping quickly or aggressively will put a higher rate of wear on the front. There is no way to stop quickly just using the back brake and I doubt it does much overall, IMO.

Perhaps you ought to check that the caliper slides freely if it's a floating type and the piston(s) move(s) properly such that you don't have any binding.
From what I have read and seen on YouTube , the front and rear should be used equally on a cruiser .

Just checked the pads on my FXLR Low Rider after reading this thread. Done about 9000 miles and they're probably ok for me to change over the winter but a little surprised at the high rate of wear compared to other bikes I've had. Mind you, it's like trying to stop an oil tanker when the front lever is grabbed I suppose! Any thoughts on the most cost effective/quality replacements? I've emailed Luke at Sycamore HD who always does his best on HD parts.

I had a problem with Jersey and there was no comeback or after sales support.

I have ordered from them more than once but when a part broke for no apparent reason and they wouldn't replace it I was not that impressed.

HD ones were £71 from Riders in Bristol , you will find them cheaper online , but I like to fit genuine parts if available , doing it myself I have probably saved £ 50 in labour charges .

One thing to consider is that pads for Harleys are quite thin to begin with. Every set I've seen are half what I expect to see on a Japanese bike.

I had a problem with Jersey and there was no comeback or after sales support.

I have ordered from them more than once but when a part broke for no apparent reason and they wouldn't replace it I was not that impressed.
Sure it happens with all the stealerships though thats why we have some good Indy’s and as for jersey some of the staff are or used to be in the club and apart from moco delays their end i recon most of us have had good service from em Tony went the extra mile to source deleted bits on one of my builds a while back but fuck ups can and do happen at em all but then i would not be getting pads from the Moco as there are better out there in price and quality and performance 🤷‍♂️ with_glasses

there should be a cross reference chart in the listing for em just use jerseys part finder to get the oem number to cross reference em (y)

These are my observations and experience regards brake pads.

Everyone will not get the same wear mileage, it will depend how you ride and where you ride.
So it depends on how 'you' ride or have been trained to ride and if you do a lot of long distance, fully loaded riding or commuting in traffic or combinations of each, basically how much and how you use your brakes!

What I have found is that different brands and compounds of pads also have a big effect on the wear milage.

I can base this mainly on that I consistently commuted all year round for ten years on two 883 R Sportsters (05 & 09), the same journey 25 miles each way, around 17 miles motorway/dual carriageway, the remaining heavy traffic & filtering along with similar experiences on our other H-Ds.
These bikes all being in the main fully serviced by myself.

Regards the Sportsters, I would get around 12K miles from the rear OEM pads and around 25k miles front
Tried EBC organic and this dropped to way below 8K miles on the rear and loads of brake dust and not such good braking on the front & changed before they wore out.

Tried EBC sintered better milage but still only around 10K miles on the rear and not quite the same front performance on the front but also noticeable wear on the disc and still more brake dust than OEM but less than the organic.

So regards the Sportsters I reverted back to OEM with the similar milage and just looked out for cheap deals such as 20% off and new old stock.

I always keep a full set of pads in the draw to cover each of our bikes so can afford to wait for a deal!

I've tried a lot of EBC pads on various models but have always found for me they don't give the same wear milage, so are not quite as good value as they first appear, but the deal breaker has often been the dust, especially on the rear wheel with white wall tyres and some of the sintered compounds do wear the discs quicker!
I've tried various others including Lindal which did work well with little dust but were hard to get and expensive. When I ran Harrison Billet six/four calipers (Brembo P5 Pad) on various bikes I found Ferodo sintered pads worked best with the stainless aftermarket discs, but would eat standard discs.

It's all a balance of finding what is right for you, these days most pads other than fake or non-branded e-bays cheap ones will work well, but you may get far more dust, wear and or wear the discs in the case of heavily sintered material and don't be tempted to use 'Race' pads as these generally will not work properly in road use.

Also bear in mind that often the OEM front and rear pads are specified of different compounds even when they are the same pad and the OEMs are supplied with replacement pad pins and clips where as a lot of the alternatives are not!

Regards the M8s, as we have with white walls, I have only used OEM, however Brembo are now retailing pads for late model H-Ds and I will certainly give these a go as Brembo supply the calipers!

Brembo Catalogue Link

Back