Brake pads

Interesting comment on disc wear. Luke at Sycamore stated they see more wear when folk go for non HD pads but no way of knowing if the brakes were improved or not.

The brake pads on my old M8 Sport Glide were about twice the thickness of those on my old Dyna and my current Ultra. I find that no matter the brand they still all start to feel a bit wooden after 5 or 6K anyway though, so usually swap em out around then.

Brake Pads from different manufacturers are all different. Some will be a harder compound and last longer but wear the Disc more but need more pressure to stop. Others may be softer but give better braking and will not wear the Disc as much.
As far as I know there is no Chart that shows whether a particular Brake Pad is Hard or Soft. A manufacturer may say a particular Brake Pad is for general everyday use but that is about it as far as info. goes.

I am feeling like a freak.....midwinter here and this week finally changing the original front pads on my 2019 RG: at 36,000 miles! There's still a little bit left on them too.

On reflection, it's probably because 80% of those miles have been on open highway at 65mph. ;-). One of the great joys of living where I do.

I asked around and searched around, and my best local custom shop agrees. So I got Lyndall Gold pads.

Sbs or goldfren off ebay . Been using goldfren for years now work fine and never had an issue.

I seem to recall reading that EBC HH Sintered were the prefferred choice on early harleys, improved the braking considerably, but then believe harley used organic pads back then like a lot of manufacturers. I've since heard harley use sintered pads, so would still consider changing to EBC HH Sintered once the originals wear out. M8 Streetbobs front brake is just as reviewed by the majority, adequate but nothing more. Intend to fit an Arlen Ness 15inch floating rotor to my bob.

I may be wrong Buelloke but I think you are going to pay a hefty premium for Arlen Ness.
All their products are really expensive! 😳

I may be wrong Buelloke but I think you are going to pay a hefty premium for Arlen Ness.
All their products are really expensive! 😳
About £350ish for front rotor with billlet caliper relocator, 30% increase in braking power and feel. May pop a floater on the rear too!

Sintered Pads do wear Discs faster than normal Pads as they contain metal in the Pad compound.
What would you rather, superior braking in all conditions (life savers) or compromise and increased life on your rotors?

Last edited:
Yes I understand. A bit like tyres. You can get the Soft Compound ones that grip better but dont last or go for the Harder Compound ones that are terrible in the wet but last forever. You pays your money etc. 😂

One pad was a lot worse , they are very hard to see in place , I took the caliper off to have a proper look .
Yes, very hard to see in place. I would advise M8 owners with a single disc to check regularly, as I had one pad almost down to the metal - and the other with plenty of meat left on it!? - in 9k miles from new. Live in London but mainly touring miles.
Now running EBC and checking more often.

I seem to recall reading that EBC HH Sintered were the prefferred choice on early harleys, improved the braking considerably, but then believe harley used organic pads back then like a lot of manufacturers. I've since heard harley use sintered pads, so would still consider changing to EBC HH Sintered once the originals wear out. M8 Streetbobs front brake is just as reviewed by the majority, adequate but nothing more. Intend to fit an Arlen Ness 15inch floating rotor to my bob.
I fitted a 15 inch AN rotor on my 08 Dyna, done about 5k miles with it, it is a vast improvement for power and feel, recommended investment with a good front tyre to take it, going to drop some progressive springs into the forks as they become the weak point, bottoming out on stutter bumps on heavy braking a little.

Back