Brembo upgrade 2004 Dyna

Generally yes, cast wheels have more clearance is my experience with Sportsters and FXRs this seems to be a greater issue with narrow glide front ends and 19 inch wheels.

With opposed piston calipers you also sometimes have to use spacers under the disc to center the disc within the caliper, these can be used to move the disc outboard and then also space the caliper out to get some more clearance, but it will not get you much!

Disc / Sprocket Spacer example

Hi SJ
Sorry the problem isn’t the disc it’s the relationship between the Caliper and the spokes. If the cast spoke has more room between the spoke and the Caliper, than the lattice the that’s the dimension I need.
Thanks Amigo

As sj points out there is clearence issues using spokes compared to cast ,on some wheels you can space the disc off or another way is to fabricate a bracket bolt it to the leg then hang the caliper off that moving it closer to the rim giving the clearance needed but you must use high tensile bolts going down this route but it aint pretty in my opinion 🤷🏻‍♂️

You space the disc out, so the caliper can then be spaced out from the fork leg mounting to give more clearance from the spokes to the back of the caliper, with disc then still sitting in the middle of the caliper.

To find the clearance you need to mount the caliper albeit if necessary remove the disc and space it out (say with washers) to see how much clearance you need to achieve to clear the spokes and it is entirely possible that your particular caliper cannot fit even if you machined material off the back which is another option.

The OEM one was a four piston fixed caliper, I doubt if a later Brembo one will give much real benefit!

Plan c would be sell small child and buy harrison mini 6 piston caliper with the money 😂🤣😂

Had a six pot Harrison on my Dyna Street Bob, that was an excellent front brake. Have to say the factory twin disc ABS set up on my Dyna Lowrider S is more than capable of pulling the bike up quickly with little effort pulling on the lever.

Taking a second look at your pics on a big screen with the caliper correctly mounted on the leg how much clearance between the caliper and the spokes ? As that caliper has a chamfer on it and you may have enough room when correctly positioned with_glasses

Thanks for all your input guys, however,
the rotor cannot move any closer to the forks.
changing the mounting bracket would move the disc into the fork zone.
realistically the only option is the cast front wheel and trying to source one

Thanks for all your input guys, however,
the rotor cannot move any closer to the forks.
changing the mounting bracket would move the disc into the fork zone.
realistically the only option is the cast front wheel and trying to source one
Putting a bracket on like johns means the disc stays in the same place but the caliper moves out to the edge of the wheel towards the tyre where the spokes taper to the rim giving more clearance like i said not pretty but effective maybe a different caliper choice might be a more cost effective option…..🤷🏻‍♂️

Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn’t that result in less contact between the pads and the disc? Or are you saying change to a bigger disc as well?

Thanks for that Watchman, but .3“ = 7.62mm which still doesn’t give me enough clearance
I hAve the full Brembo set up so the wheel is the answer 👍

PS. Im not a fan of spoked wheels anyway so I would have changed them when the funds became available anywa.

Back