Can't Get It Out!!!

Steppenwulf

Non Member
I picked up my relaced wheel from the builder yesterday and handed ?85 for the old hub and rim relaced with SS spokes and a nice job of it he's done too. Doug works from his house and can get hold of Devon Rim's (if you've got the money!)- he's based in Benllech and can be contacted on 01248 853154.

One problem though is that he hasn't got a bearing puller to fit HD hubs. So my question is, does anyone know of someone in the area who can get the seized little beggars out for me? Hopefully see you on the road as soon as I get the bearings sorted, hwyl. :439:

Re: Can't Get It Out!!!

If it's the later sealed bearings search the forum for a post by HarleyHog that covers this. Solution uses a rawlbolt to grip the inner race.

If it's the earlier two piece tapered bearings I can remove them for you.

You could try the club tool hire and see if they have one.

If it's the later sealed bearings search the forum for a post by HarleyHog that covers this. Solution uses a rawlbolt to grip the inner race.

If it's the earlier two piece tapered bearings I can remove them for you.

You could try the club tool hire and see if they have one.

Cheers for the offer Phil but you ain't exactly local, appreciated tho :)
BTW it is the later sealed bearing so I think I can see where the rawlbolt solution is going, will check out the search and give it a go later, ta.

B@stards still won't budge! Tried heating, rawl bolt, hitting with a feck off lump hammer and screwdriver and nothing, not moved a millimeter. Soaking the thing in penetrating oil at the mo hoping to gain some insparation- what I really need is someone with a bearing puller, c'mon guys there must be someone in the area who I can call?? :frown:

Just an update. After soaking the bearings in penetrating oil for 24 hours, last night I got heavy on them, heated the hub up and then got a cold chisel and hammer and set to. Took a hell of a lot of shifting and in the process tore into the spacer quite a bit, it's very soft so it shaved easily :redface: But the long and short of it was they came out and the new one's went in :smile:

I had to dress the spacer with a round file and dremmel but hopefully all will be well since the axle mainly rests on the bearings, fingers crossed! So the rebuilt rear wheel is eventually back on the bike, tonight I'll get round to aligning and setting belt tension and then hopefully get back on the road asap. See you out there.

B@stards still won't budge! Tried heating, rawl bolt, hitting with a feck off lump hammer and screwdriver and nothing, not moved a millimeter. Soaking the thing in penetrating oil at the mo hoping to gain some insparation- what I really need is someone with a bearing puller, c'mon guys there must be someone in the area who I can call?? :frown:
You really need access to a hydraulic press and/or the correct puller. The H-D puller is an arm and leg to purchase. Not much call for the bearings to be changed yet which is why we haven't bought one so I doubt you'll find one to borrow.

Just read your latest post and wouldn't recommend using that much shock force to remove the bearings for the reasons you have highlighted.

Back