Carelessness (mine) beyond belief - you've probably not heard this one.

NeilFxrs

Club Member
In a hurry yesterday, I stabbed the button on my 2012 1690 Softail Deluxe, only to discover that the cold snap had finally killed my battery (it had started to huff and puff a bit earlier in the year....). I reconnected the battery tender and dashed off, in the car instead. When I returned to the garage this afternoon, to my dismay, I realised I'd left the ignition on the whole time. The battery is probably double dead now, but alarmingly, some strange whirring noises from the bike's electrics(?) could be heard every half minute or so. Have I done some proper damage to the bike does anyone know? New battery ordered; should I just leave the bike alone now until it arrives?

Last edited:
Is the start button stuck down, or the fuel pump cutting in and out. I take it that the noises stopped when it was switched off.

no noise with the ignition off, Ron. I guess the fuel pump could make a noise like that.....?

Starter relays live trying to activate starter but not enough power to do anything disconnect battery and charge and reconnect hopefully it will retain the charge and allow itself to reset the starter circuit make sure kill switch off when you undo and reconnect battery in case it starts to spin lump as you reconnect (y)

Ah, thanks, gentlemen. No scorching/heat detected, Paul. And I like the relays/starter edification, relatively uplifting! given my earlier gloom....

Back