Cleaning spokes

M

Monkeybrain

I've got crappy looking spokes.

Need hints and tips....

Tried autosol, didn't do much but bloody my knuckles...

What works?

And I don't need the stainless suggestion just yet...

Re: Cleaning spokes

I asked this question a while back, there isn't a simple answer. The spokes are galvanised and you will never get them looking good. I use a tooth brush and some degreaser on mine and then hose them off. They do look a little better afterwards.
When my tyres need changing, I'm going for stainless rims and spokes...I know you don't want to hear that, but it's the only way to go in the end.

Brian.

yes, i saw you thread, no one really gave any suggestions hence the question.

The spokes almost look like they need a mild abrasive to get the oxidation of, and geting to the bit where the spokes enter the hubs seems nigh on impossible.

you don't notice the crap spokes on mine just the rusty rim:mad:
looking for a nice black thunderstar wheel to replace.

telboy

I think the spokes are zinc plated or electro-galvanised, rather than true hot-dipped galvanised finish. The zinc is designed to be sacrificial, so it corrodes preferentially, to protect the steel underneath. Problem is, the zinc then pits, and fills with zinc oxide, so it goes dull and gray.
A mild abrasive will clean it up, and polish the surface, but (as with any abrasive) you will remove some of the protective zinc in the process.
Because zinc is quite soft, it will usually polish up with soft wire wool, and this may remove less zinc than an abrasive polish, but like most things, once the corrosion has started, you can never get it back to the original finish. If you want to try the wire wool, use an old Brillo pad on a small area first, to see how it works out. The more pitted the zinc, the less chance you have of achieving a good finish - but you knew that...;)

if you do clean them with an abrasive you will eventually remove the zinc or what ever (galvanising refer's to the electro plating method being galvanic as described by
Luigi Galvani 1737-1798)
a little digression being good for the soul (and confirming the onset senile dementure)

anyway...
if you remove that coating it will expose the base metal.
steel and as a consequence it will start to rust and look worse.

the only ways around it are to either change to stainless spokes, go for powder or enamel coating or forget about it, it being what it is.

Back