Cloud......

Phssthpok

Club Member
:) .......with the prevalence of nasties like Ransomware, I've decided to use cloud to back up my files alongside the normal disk-based back up's I do. I have been looking into the market and 2 services seem to have most of what I want: Livedrive and Google-drive.

:) .......I really don't want to pay more than ?5 per month max, need up to 100GB of space and would like to synchronise my files. Google-drive ticks most of my boxes but, before I commit does anyone have any better suggestions?

Re: Cloud......

I use a paid service (?140 for 24 months unlimited storage) from Just Cloud which was invaluable when I had my Nikon camera and Apple laptop stolen whilst on holiday in Florida last year.

All my files (inc holiday photographs) had been automatically uploaded to the Cloud and saved, so when the insurance replaced my Macbook, I just restored them to the new machine.

Its got to be the best ?140 I've ever spent, and I still use it.

Its not particularly fast, and annoyingly, they send quite a lot of "marketing" pop ups for upgrades and special offers but it works automatically, and more importantly, all my files were safe, and its easy to swap between computers.

Currys/PC World do a 500Gb for ?30 a year or ?90 for 5 years that seems like a good deal, I'll probably take a closer look at them when my 2 years is up.

I don't think there will be a lot between the services they offer, just get one that is automatic each time you go online, then you can be as surprised as I was that all your files are OK after you think they have all gone.

Last edited:

Get one of these
51gkpqDbcsL._SL1500_.jpg

Add a 2Tb SATA III NAS certified drive and wire it up somewhere safe and out of view - Your own Cloud and you can get to it from anywhere in the world.

Synology DS112J DiskStation 1 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I use JustCloud as well - it works perfectly. I have about 500G of files backed up there at the moment.

I got an unlimited space plan for ?50 a year, which seems pretty reasonable to me. That was a couple of years ago, so not sure of their pricing plans now.

I also use an Apple Time Capsule for when I'm at home. That's a cracking bit of kit - it just backs up wirelessly every 15 minutes for every computer in the house.

:) ......after further intensive investigation (beer drinking) I finally decided to opt for Google-Drive (I was drunk). For ?1.20p a month I get 100GB of synchronised space in the computing ether. Admittedly, it was like sending a child off to school for the first time as I watched my precious documents file slowly disappear into its new cloud-based home. It took about 16 hours to upload 45.32GB.

:) ......this morning I approached my computer with some trepidation (hang-over) and felt slightly queasy seeing my documents file no longer lived on my computer. However, a quick double-click on the Google-Drive icon and there it was, glaring at me like a diamond in a goats a*se.

:) .......now I have a chance to try it out, all works amazingly fast with virtually (pun intended) no lag to speak of. Of course, the proof of this particular cyber-pudding will be in the eating so, I'll let you all know in a month or so how I get on.

Back