clutch

Spice

Club Member
Always had a problem finding Neutral on my 103 Streetglide, often having to switch engine off then easy to find , but sometimes forgetting to turn ignition back off again.
well today I changed my primary oil to Amsoil 20/50 fully synthetic , only ever use fully synthetic in all three holes , and adjusted my clutch differently to what I have many times before , instead of on reaching contact and just feeling resistance on the Allen screw then backing off 1/2 a turn as reccommended in the manual this time I backed off one full turn.
several test finds of putting into neutral it seems to have sorted it . maybe when the engine is hotter after a good run
ill just have to wait and see. it may be different better or worse

I found by using redline shock proof in gearbox, and redline primary, the gear changes were much better. Never had a problem finding neutral, but it was more of a clunk when changing gear.

Ps. If yours is hydraulic clutch, change the fluid every 2 years. It does make a difference.

I have now adjusted the clutch at least five times in both directions, changed oil to amsoil 20\50 fully synthetic
it still clunks like throwing a large spanner into a steam engine
.when selecting first gear and without turning the engine off its impossible
despite many deft and delicate foot movements up and down to locate the elusive neutral
any further pointers appreciated
2013 ,103 Streetglide

Hey mate try completely closing the cable adjuster first so there is nothing at bars just a floppy lever then undo lock nut on push rod turn it in until just seats then back out a 1/4 turn lock off squeeze lever 3 times to set ball ramp then readjust cable so there is 1.6mm at bar and see how that goes i think back in the mists of time there was a recall due to incorrect machined push rods on some tourers but cant find the info for the life of me will keep looking as its raining stair rods here… :encouragement:

Thankyou advice appreciated
But that’s what I’ve done , tried backing out 1/4 ,1/2 , and full turn all with cable completely backed off still the same
Kin thing will not go into neutral 😡

I found things improved by replacing the adjuster in the centre of the clutch.
If its been adjusted badly in the past it wears significantly.

If it works its a cheap fix

Just mulling any play in the rose joints on the linkages or where the selector shaft exits the box or wear in the clutch lever pivot pin ? And has a clutch lite type bearing thrust plate been fitted on the cable side i have come across one where the ramps for the ball bearings were incorrectly machined which would not disengage properly….. scratch_head

I don’t know what Primary Adjuster your bike has, maybe not a cure for the problem but it might help: fitting an automatic Primary Chain Adjuster seems to get rid of the Clonk. I fitted a HB125 to my TC and it “Snicks” into first gear. Others are using the Hayden Enterprises one with good results. The HB125 is hydraulic and the Hayden uses a Spring.
Hope you get it sorted.

Back