Compensating sprocket

Are you going the right way to undo as the compensator has a right hand thread and the clutch has a left hand thread so turn right to tighten and left to undo i tend to use a good 6 side socket with lever bar and a 3ft tube which shifts most of them unless someone’s been in and loc tighted the granny out of it then I use an impact gun

Hi, thanks for reply. Yes, am going the correct direction for sprocket nut. Anticlockwise for undoing this nut, and clockwise for undoing clutch mainshaft. I have already added heat, with a tube over breaker bar, and seen breaker bar wanting to be a banana !. Thinking I must be at a point where I could be damaging something. Have also been advised not to use an impact wrench. Cheers.

You may end up having to use a rattle gun; but use an electric one not an air driven one. Yes there is a slight risk that you could damage the stator (some earlier ones were prone to magnets not being too secure) but it's worked for me in the past.

Reason for using electric is that the initial impact tends to be greater (needs to be fully charged and a good quality one) hence it will not be used for so long and consequently less risk of damage through vibration.

Just a thought what drive is the socket and breaker bar ? A compensator nut torque will exceed the loadings of most 3/8 drives and the bar will banana i use a heavy duty 1/2 inch drive with no flex hardly to shift em

My electric 1/2inch rattle gun is supposed to have 460nm !. The max torque is 230nm on sprocket nut on 97fxdwg. Yep, somebody has got over zealous with the threadlock.... not me by the way haha.

No luck. Reckon I will have to hire a 3/4 drive electric rattle gun....with heat !. Been at this for 6 weeks now haha.

Also, has been standing for 6 years, I don't know if this should/would make any difference whatsoever ?.

Back