Condensation

surly

After a ride out I noticed condensation in my speedo and it kept happening on every ride hot or cold so as the speedo is full of electric components I think warranty issue and call my dealer and he tells me its not covered by the warranty I reply are you shitting me an 18 month old £16500.00 bike and and a speedo full of water is not covered I even paid extra to have 4 year warranty for peace of mind this really is piss poor service on what is touted as a premium product my experience of Japanese bikes tells me they would have dealt with this no arguments I have just lifted the instrument mount and taped a 20gram bag of silica gel to the back of the speedo to try and fix this.
I really like this bike but this has rather soured things for me.
Anyone else had this issue.

Hi Surly, sadly a very common fault. I had the same experience with my 2013 Fat Bob - not covered by warranty, but hey, over 9 years later with nearly 40k on the clock, the Speedo and electronic stuff has never played up! It's poor that on a premium product you have to modify yourself to fix, but when you take into account the overall enjoyment of riding and being a member of this club, it's not worth stressing over.

They all do that sir.
Had same with my boom box. Ooh err misus.

Clear in summer, condensation in winter.

This is always the case. On my '96 FL, condensation in both fuel gauge and speedo. No problems in either, disappears in the sun.

Harleys have no breather holes in clocks where nearly every other manufacturer dose. watch your idiot lights Harley designed housing upside down so heavy rain ( jet wash cleaning ) water runs into light bar and burns out LEDs and you have to replace the item plus if you do the job yourself the fixing tabs WILL snap off even if bike is new. best to cover whole top of idiot light screen and small chrome ( plastic ) surround with clear 3m tape

After a ride out I noticed condensation in my speedo and it kept happening on every ride hot or cold so as the speedo is full of electric components I think warranty issue and call my dealer and he tells me its not covered by the warranty I reply are you shitting me an 18 month old £16500.00 bike and and a speedo full of water is not covered I even paid extra to have 4 year warranty for peace of mind this really is piss poor service on what is touted as a premium product my experience of Japanese bikes tells me they would have dealt with this no arguments I have just lifted the instrument mount and taped a 20gram bag of silica gel to the back of the speedo to try and fix this.
I really like this bike but this has rather soured things for me.
Anyone else had this issue.
I had this issue on a 2017 Heritage Classic I used to have. H-D would not entertain a warranty claim saying "They all do that sir" usual dealer B/S. (altho' I have read that some were changed under warranty but went on to have the same issue). I scoured the 'net looking for fixes, as sometimes the speedo was unreadable and would have made a perfect excuse when getting pulled over for speeding. I then dreamed up the silica gel fix (don't know if I was the first or not) but it did the trick. Every so often I swapped the sachet out for another dry one, putting the first one on a radiator for a few days as they can get sodden depending on the size of the sachet. Interestingly, the upgraded H-D speedo with the tacho built in didn't do it, neither does the KOSO aftermarket digital speedo which I now have fitted to my Road King Special.

Last night went to bike meet hour each way warm going cool returning no condensation either way seems to easy to be true.
Funny Harley dealers don,t suggest this to customers.

Back