Corrosion

Re: Corrosion

@crapaud62

I have been following your issues with this bike with interest. I have a couple of questions as I am not sure where you are up to.

1. Do you own the bike outright, or is it on finance? If you own it outright, take it to another dealer and explain the situation, they might be more amenable.
2. Have you contacted HDUK following your unsuccessful attempt to get the dealer to address the issue?
3. What was the HDUK response to your request for a repair under warranty? (I assume you supplied images etc)

If you really feel the parts are finished inadequately, I would consider the following options:

Firstly, estimate the cost of getting the fork legs powder coated and rebuilt by an independent. Use that as your budget for the remainder of this 'project'.

OPTION A: Leave it until the warranty expires and then have the fork legs powdercoated or whatever.
OPTION B: Get a lawyer to write a letter to the dealer saying you will take them to the relevant court under Trading Standards. See what happens. It should cost around ?100. (Legal letters are more effective than angry emails).

Ultimately this issue is about 'normal wear and tear' versus 'poor quality of manufacture', on a high wear part. ANY lacquer will fail, it's just a case of 'when' rather than 'if'.

If you like the bike and want to keep it for a few years, then I would put it down to experience and move on. As you have found out, forums can't actually help you with an issue of this type...

The corrosion is most probably from brake dust. Apart from regular washing down, powder coating's the best solution. It's not particularly expensive (cost me ?60) but, of course, you have to remove and strip the legs.

@crapaud62

I have been following your issues with this bike with interest. I have a couple of questions as I am not sure where you are up to.

1. Do you own the bike outright, or is it on finance? If you own it outright, take it to another dealer and explain the situation, they might be more amenable.
2. Have you contacted HDUK following your unsuccessful attempt to get the dealer to address the issue?
3. What was the HDUK response to your request for a repair under warranty? (I assume you supplied images etc)

His previous post stated;

Response from HDUK;
"The decision that this is not a warrantable item still stands and we will not be able to assist further. The forks are considered as a manufactured part with focus on its purpose. Thus, replacement would not be covered through warranty as the functionality of the forks has not been compromised."

:encouragement:

His previous post stated;

Response from HDUK;
"The decision that this is not a warrantable item still stands and we will not be able to assist further. The forks are considered as a manufactured part with focus on its purpose. Thus, replacement would not be covered through warranty as the functionality of the forks has not been compromised."

:encouragement:

Sounds like the OP will have to suck it up then.

Interested to see a pic of the items in question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update.
Firstly, the corrosion is on the left side only and is clearly down to insufficient lacquer.

Secondly, I just visited one of the largest Harley dealers in Toulouse France. They were horrified when they saw the condition of the bike and how I had been treated by Jersey and HD UK. The District Manager for South West France was visiting the dealer the same day. He explained that the Warranty Dept always refuse corrosion claims at first and it is up to the dealer to pursue. He told the French dealer to pursue it on my behalf and he said he would make a report himself. He took loads of photos and confirmed that the bike had been well cared for and no evidence of neglect or stone chips. I told him I would book it into the French dealer for its annual service. He told me he would sort things out for me.
Thirdly, Jersey Trading Standards are now on the case in Jersey and are not impressed with the local dealer. The dealer is now back pedalling faster than Bradley Wiggins after an asthma attack. After telling me they wouldn't discuss it any more, they now say that they always intended to replace it!

Update.
Firstly, the corrosion is on the left side only and is clearly down to insufficient lacquer.

Secondly, I just visited one of the largest Harley dealers in Toulouse France. They were horrified when they saw the condition of the bike and how I had been treated by Jersey and HD UK. The District Manager for South West France was visiting the dealer the same day. He explained that the Warranty Dept always refuse corrosion claims at first and it is up to the dealer to pursue. He told the French dealer to pursue it on my behalf and he said he would make a report himself. He took loads of photos and confirmed that the bike had been well cared for and no evidence of neglect or stone chips. I told him I would book it into the French dealer for its annual service. He told me he would sort things out for me.
Thirdly, Jersey Trading Standards are now on the case in Jersey and are not impressed with the local dealer. The dealer is now back pedalling faster than Bradley Wiggins after an asthma attack. After telling me they wouldn't discuss it any more, they now say that they always intended to replace it!

Great news, but isn?t is sad you had to jump through so many hoops on a new motorcycle to get a resolve.

I suppose you can't blame Jersey for trying to wriggle out of it, I mean, they'll have to sell half a dozen T-shrts to recover the labour costs involved.............. ;-)

Glad that it looks like you're going to get it sorted Sid but what hassle to go through.

Although not on a bike, I had a Toyota Celica a few years ago and after almost three years and 72,000 miles Toyota replaced all five alloy wheels under warranty as they were corroding under the lacquer - even though I'd kerbed one of them! Incidentally, Peugeot did the same on my last car, a 208GTi after around 32,000 miles! Just goes to show different companies attitudes to these matters.

Back