Crank Position Sensor and starting issues

I believe it can. The CPS tells the Brain when the piston is at the correct place to fire. Take it out. easy on my TC88, you may find a load of metallic Swarf clinging to it. Clean it up, reinstall and fingers crossed it will be good. (y)

Cheers
I'm running an Altman ignition unit and have checked the wiring , I also took the sensor out and it was clean.
The sensor itself appears difficult to validate it's serviceability

They do fail and IIRC they are EXPENSIVE. I don.t know if it is possible to test one off the bike. I believe there is a magnetic pick up gizmo in it and it recognises a missing tooth on the Crankshaft which sends a signal to the Brain.
What Bike have you got?

It's an 05 springer softail with carb conversion
A reasonable replacement sensor is about 70 quid , but that's the offset to owning a Harley.
The hall effect sensor has a AC 5 volt induced value from a segmented toothed ring which tells the ecm when to induce a spark.
Guess I might just have to bite the bullet

It's a hall sensor, which means it's magnetic hence it picks up swarf. Google how to test a hall sensor. Hope this helps .

It's an 05 springer softail with carb conversion
A reasonable replacement sensor is about 70 quid , but that's the offset to owning a Harley.
The hall effect sensor has a AC 5 volt induced value from a segmented toothed ring which tells the ecm when to induce a spark.
Guess I might just have to bite the bullet
If you have a mate who has a Harley, you could do a quick swap which would prove yours is bad. 🤔

I would try and test it first, also don't forget if your using a Altman ignition the CPS has two wires red and black they need to be twisted before they are terminated into your Altman ignition. I do not know why but they do on my bike

Last edited by a moderator:
A common symptom with CPS failure can be, the bike starts, then stalls almost immediately, early ones did sort of melt/disintegrate, but they generally seem far more robust these days.

Twin Power and other companies now sell them as well as the OEM ones.

Back