Dampers

KendalPete

Club Member
I’ve done 750 miles now on my 07 XL1200 Low and am making a - long - list of things to do to it.
Having just been on a blast around Lincolnshire with my mates on sports bikes I need to work on the handling.

How do I identify whether or not my bike has the original dampers on it? And is the “Low” achieved by the dampers fitted? So if I go for, say, Biturbo’s will it jack the bike up a little? I was watching a YouTube the other day about someone who fitted aftermarket dampers and who said they sharpened the steering. I did wonder if they had actually altered the fork trail by being a little higher?

One other related query. The exhaust is grounding on right hander. Is there any easy fix for this? Other than the above.

The low has lowered forks and rear shocks as standard as well as a different sidestand it will need new tubes and internals in forks and shocks go fro 10.5 inch to 12 inch which makes it a serious expensive trip unless you can find bits on flea bay 👍😎 i may have some of what you need but need to check 🤷🏻‍♂️

Do you mean 'ground clearance'? The point at which your footpeg (or exhaust) hit the ground.
Check out Hagon shocks for the rear, as I'm sure they can 'make to length' shocks for any year of Sportster.

I actually have Koni's on my sporty - but now no longer made.
Oh, and a fork brace up front - if you can still find them - works a treat.
As Roach says - never handle like a sports bike - but as I found, significant improvements can be made.

There are some koni/ikon new on ebay at the mo around £240 a pair listed for older sportys but they are carrying the right length and spring rate so will probably fit as a cheap option

It's wallowing on fast bumpy corners and bottoming and grounding on slow bumpy corners. It needs new rear dampers. My original question was how to recognise original Harley Dampers? I don't have any history with the bike and I think it's still standard but it would be good to know.
As to the exhaust, I think it's grounding on the fastener nut which I can move around to avoid but then it will touch the exhaust and I just wondered how I might raise this up a little?
But dampers first, this might be the cure to the grounding as well.

Ok they are stock low shocks 10.5” so anything longer will raise the arse and help out with dragging no end you could try some 11-12“ and see how it feels on the front before touching the forks bearing in mind the steering will feel slightly different at first harley shocks are basic on the damping front but better kit is available as the lads have said hagons build to order sorting springing and damping to suit your weight and loads a few of us like them and have had good service ikon/koni are another good shock fair on price and as Dave said they work well i personally have put them on a lot of my bikes over the years some like progressives kit but i find they are set up for lard arsed yanks on long roads and not the way Europeans ride and a lot of hype surround them and i dont recall seeing many fitted in the 883 racing years ago but you pays your money and make your choice because suspension brakes and tyres on a Harley are all a very personal thing as we all set them up for us and unfortunately harleys kit has to be basic one size fits all…….. 🤷‍♂️

These are actually 11.5" between centres. I had a Sportster in the 90's and put Progressives on but I've heard that Hagon's built to order are a better way to go so that sounds good. Do you have to order through a dealer or can you go direct?

It seems to me very few shock absorber suppliers ask how much your riding weight is. Most just have a "standard" spring they fit which for me is too stiff.

There also appears to be a number of shocks without damper adjustment so unless you are lucky and happen to be their test weight I think they will always be compromised.

Thats the beauty of hagons or ikon ,hagons will sort your weight verses springing and their gas shocks feature preload and damping adjustment ikon shocks have one multi rate spring for up to 95kg then an alternative for above that figure and have preload and damping adjustment also both types available with variations , hagons were excellent helping Logan sort his roadking as he is a flyweight changing his springs 3 times in a fortnight until he was happy at no cost just by going in and sorting while he waited and with a set of their fork springs in the front hes banged up many miles in comfort with excellent handling
both makers price their kit under the £500 mark making them a very competent alternative to some of the race kit and top of range brands out there 🤷‍♂️

It is a discussion that may become tedious to others but the up to 95Kg is kind of what I had and they are too stiff for me and that is because they generally start at 75Kg and 60Kg.

The Sportster front fork is a good 'un - Showa. It's just that the MoCo dictate crap springs (bouncy) and basic damping for them - unit cost!
I have fitted Progressive springs, left the damping alone and fitted a fork brace and decent fork oil.

Damping can be rectified. There was a very good article in Back Street Heros many, many years ago on DIY damping for the sporty fork. I'm sure by now there's something on YouTube about it.

Back