Derby Seal + oil

banquo

Club Member
Hello all you knowledgeable ones....;)
Back from Poland, and trying to get the bike back together before the winter comes again....

The Derby seal that's in there is a simple castellated rubber O-Ring.
The one I bought is like a big gasket, with no cutout, that covers the entire area of the Derby Cover.
Is that a newer replacement part, or is it the wrong part?
Is the old O-Ring reusable (I think somebody said it was, or was that the chain inspection hole gasket...?).
-----------------------------------------
It's a 2003 FXST with 5-hole Derby Cover.
Oh, and which is the best hole to pour the oil in. Doesn't look like much space through the Derby hole, so I'm guessing the chain inspection cover will be easier? Should have filled it when it had fallen off the jack - would have been easy when it was on its side! :rolleyes:

Thanx, as always...

Re: Derby Seal + oil

banquo said:
Hello all you knowledgeable ones....;)
Back from Poland, and trying to get the bike back together before the winter comes again....

The Derby seal that's in there is a simple castellated rubber O-Ring.
The one I bought is like a big gasket, with no cutout, that covers the entire area of the Derby Cover.
Is that a newer replacement part, or is it the wrong part?
Is the old O-Ring reusable (I think somebody said it was, or was that the chain inspection hole gasket...?).
It's a 2003 FXST with 5-hole Derby Cover.
Oh, and which is the best hole to pour the oil in. Doesn't look like much space through the Derby hole, so I'm guessing the chain inspection cover will be easier? Should have filled it when it had fallen off the jack - would have been easy when it was on its side! :rolleyes:

Thanx, as always...

Hi Banquo,

I can tell you from recent experience that the gasket is a direct replacement for the castellated o ring you have fitted at the moment.

See this thread:

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44265

As for the oil, you pour it in behind the derby cover with the bike upright. Or as I did, leaning against a wall!

Hope that helps :)

castellated?

never mind, stick with old one if it looks ok.
the primary is under no pressure and the seal on stops the splashs.
if it leaks change it.

S.T.Chapman said:
castellated?

never mind, stick with old one if it looks ok.
the primary is under no pressure and the seal on stops the splashs.
if it leaks change it.

My old one looked OK but still leaked. And yes it was castellated. And the screws were correctly torqued up :cool: Presumably as the replacement is now a gasket rather than an O ring the MoCo knew it was a weakness and did a redesign.

The gasket is a direct upgrade & a replacement. It works a lot better.

I like the rubber gasket better meself.
I stocked up on them as soon as I seen the info they were being replaced with the frisbee about a year or more ago.

Re-usable over and over, just make sure and clean out the grove on the primary case well, shouldn't be leaking...

S.T.Chapman said:
castellated?

Looks like this:
ring.jpg

Thanx all - appreciate your help.
Although I do have a new 'frisbee', think I'll just stick the o-ring back in for now. It looks in good enough shape, and if it leaks, it's nae bother to replace with the other. Already cleaned out the groove and mating faces. The faces were pretty grubby, so I guess some oil does get past the o-ring, though I never had any leaks. Now busy devising an odd-shaped funnel to put the oil in... :D :D :D

Phild said:
The gasket is a direct upgrade & a replacement. It works a lot better.

Yep, doesn't look like it should be needed but it was in my case.

Im really glad you mentioned this because I ordered 2 new ones and they sent two of the new kind you described - I chucked them in my junk box thinking I had made a mistake when ordering!!

Now where the heck are they..............

banquo said:
Looks like this:
ring.jpg

this is a castellation

defined as
1. Furnished with turrets and battlements in the style of a castle.
2. Having a castle

[Medieval Latin castell
amacr.gif
tus
, past participle of castell
amacr.gif
re
, to fortify as a castle, from Latin castellum, fort; see castle.]
cas
lprime.gif
tel?la
prime.gif
tion
n.

castellated_sockets.gif
w-125634-thekymin-cu

as is said and I was taught, to resemmble the castellations of a castle.

thems location lugs thats all:D

Back