detatchable screens

tardle

New to Harleys, so please excse my ignorance. Just bought a fatboy & am loving the bike, but find that I need a screen on occssion & detachable seems to be my best option.
Now for my questions ,
Has anyone had any experience of the national cycle range of screens quality wise,or is the Harley version much better quality & worth the extra cash involved?
Has anyone any idea of the approximate screen height I require so as to avoid buffeting & too much noise (i know about screen buffeting & noise I had a bmw gs)but still allow me to see over the top of the screen, my height is 6 ft. or am I best to get the tallest then cut it to suit.
:confused:
Thanks for any help , trev

Re: detatchable screens

i believe standard HD Screen is right for a person 5ft 11.

I bought a "compact" detachable for my FXST, and it was just fine for my 6' 2" until I changed the seat. The new seat's just a tad lower, and now I have to stretch to see over the top of the screen. Adjustable ones are much more expensive, but perhaps worth the extra?
I believe they have a new fitting kit which is more attractive than the older one I have - but I don't know if it's compatible with everything.
I bought the screen in the States, where it was half the price here. Amazing what you can get in your suitcase...
Oh, and having bought a detachable, because it was detachable, I've detached it only twice for riding (a lot more for cleaning and maintenance).

personally I thinks it essential to be able to see over the top of the screen
thats why i cut the top off lol:eek:

lawnmower said:
i believe standard HD Screen is right for a person 5ft 11.

I don't agree as that's my height without boots on and I found the standard height screen on the Road King too tall, I really do agree with S.T. you do need to look over the top. If you don't you can see feck all when it rains and gets distorted vision from the screen vibrating.

I too cut my screen down in stages because of this, but have subsequently got a new smoked blade {Fashion Victim :eek: } which coincidently is the same size as my cut down version.
The '06 Euro bikes have the shorter screen now as standard.

IMHO you will be very lucky if you can get it just right re: vision and no buffeting for all situations, it's always going to be a trade off.

Mine is fine at 50mph don't need eye protection no buffeting, but 70 etc. still don't need eye protection but I do get some buffeting depending on the amount of wind you are riding into.

I've got so used to the screen that I rarely ride without it.

Your options RE H-D Screens:-

3 Heights, standard, Low profile (Which now appears to be the Euro standard size but not the US) and 2 inch taller than standard.

Then there is smoked or clear

and not forgetting the many different styles either.

Look here there are 42 options for the Softails!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/browse/browse_products.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302289715&bmUID=1146479428147&bmLocale=en_US

The 4th option is the adjustable height screen, not cheap if it is still available but can be changed for the situation.

Your best bet may well be getting a second hand screen which you quite often see for sale and try that, even cutting it down if necessary to get it right, it will be a lot cheaper! But if you do go new consider getting it from Guernsey H-D or the US as there will be a large saving.

Also note that Euro versions of the screens and replacement blades perspex is nearly twice as thick as the US version, thus different part no.s

Hi,

I love riding my road king with the scren on,but on the couple of times i have been caught out by the good old british weather it has been a bite of a mare seeing through the screen.Its a bit like treble glazing as i wear specs as well then there's the helmet visor and then the screen.

I have tried riding it without the screen and it dont seem the same.
How shorter are the smaller screens?
How much do they cost?
Do they have the same quick removal type fittings?
How do i cut the existing screen down?

I am approx 5ft 7ins short

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

Steve

rocketman said:
Hi,

How do i cut the existing screen down?

Steve

very carefully steve ;)

the main bug is scratching it, obviously? so in my book that tends to rule out using a jigsaw.
I used a dremmel and a milling bit.
for a guide I took a length of plastic beading and basically used it to give a template line that blended with the basic shape of the screen covering the area I wanted to mark out with 2" masking tape, then finnishing by draw filing the edge to blend in.;)
even if I say so myself I would challenge anyone to spot that it had been done, it came out very nicely.:cool:
but to be honest I did have a sweaty palm time with the fear of screwing it up:eek:

S.T.Chapman(sorry dont know your firstname)

Yes i guessed it would be the type of job that takes a steady hand,my skills with anything like that are limited.....very limited indeed,so when i find out how much a shorter screen costs that might well be the avenue i'll go down.

I am off away for the weekend next weekend with the Harley,first time he's been away from home,been looking at the forecast,hoping i can leave the screen on.The weather website i use seems to change the forecast for next weekend 2 or 3 times a day.

Thanks for the imformation on the screen anyway,i'll be trawling e bay for the next couple of weeks searching for a screen.There was a trashed Road King on there the other day but i could'nt see a screen on it,the rider had hit something up the arse HARD,so he may well of gone over the handle bars and broke the screen.

Steve

Thanks for the information folks,
Think it will be a HD screen & I,ll cut it down in stages & see how it goes. But, maybe if I buy & fit the mounting kit my local dealer may let me try some different size screens from the s/hand bikes if I'm buying the screen from them.
Thanks for taking the trouble to answer
:) trev

rocketman said:

How shorter are the smaller screens?

You can buy just replacement blades which are shorter, taller, standard size, smoked, clear etc. They are easy to fit you use all you existing brackets and fittings.

The shorter screen for a Road King is 4 inches shorter.

How much do they cost?

Part No 57768-00 Shorter Screen blade clear from Guernsey H-D is ?114.36

Do they have the same quick removal type fittings?

Yep as they use all the standard parts {your existing fittings if you buy just the blade}

How do I cut the existing screen down?

I looked into this and used a fine tooth metal cutting blade in the jigsaw with masking tape both sides of the screen blade.
Slow and steady as too much heat and you will melt the screen, finished off with a file and stone with a bit of metal polish too.

The first cut is a real leap of faith, a practice is worth while, eg cutting a small piece off at the very top first to try out your technique.

As said you quite often see secondhand screens for sale which are a bargin compared to new.

good call. i bought one of these memphis screens last year from the cci catalog i think. theres a good bit in there regarding the height of the screen/rider which is where i got the 5ft 11" being std height from. The memphis screens are just as good as orginal and at ?80 considerably cheaper. yes they are anti scratch coated too and have inserts where you bolt them up which would appear to be a good idea. Simon i have my old roadking screen somewhere which needs 3 inches cutting off the top mate, ill bring it to oswestry :D

I bought my Lowrider with a National Cycle screen, 3 yrs ago now.
I very rarely ride the bike without it. :)
Its adjustable for hieght with the help of an allen key.
I think the bracket work is a bit neater than the stock HD stuff. ;)
Most of the after market catalogs list them.
Be carefull with ebay. The HD screens are not always interchangeable. :confused:

Code:
  [B][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=+4]A Cut Above[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] 
[B][I][COLOR=#000000]By Buck[/COLOR][/I][/B] 
[B][I][COLOR=#000000]Artwork by Mr. Tidy[/COLOR][/I][/B][B]So you ordered the wrong height windshield, and now you have to sit on a pillow to see over the top?[/B] 
[B]Well good friend, let's try to fix that.[/B][IMG]http://tidyville.roadstarclinic.com/shield.jpg[/IMG] [B]Following is a method we all can use to cut down the height of our windshield , and still make it look [/B]
[B]"Factory Fresh".[/B]                             .[B]First, determine the exact amount needed to remove. The best method is to place a "band" of blue[/B] 
[B]masking tape with the top edge where you think you want to cut. [/B][B]Make the band of tape at least four inches high, so that you cannot see under the bottom of the tape. [/B]
[B]Now take a ride !! A good long one !![/B] 
[B]Keep the tape on for a few days if necessary. You will find that after a few minutes you "settle in the saddle" , which gives you a more accurate idea of how much to cut. I learned this the hard way and ended up cutting my shield three times before I was satisfied.[/B]
[IMG]http://tidyville.roadstarclinic.com/shield1.jpg[/IMG] [B]On a piece of cardboard, trace the shield's top outline.[/B] [B]Cut this outline out from the cardboard. [/B]

[IMG]http://tidyville.roadstarclinic.com/shield2.jpg[/IMG] [B]Place a 2" wide strip of blue masking tape on the[/B] [B]INSIDE of the shield, centered over where the cut will be. [/B]
[B]Use the cardboard pattern to trace a "Cut" line on to the tape.[/B]
[IMG]http://tidyville.roadstarclinic.com/shieldcut.jpg[/IMG] [B]The shield will be cut with the front side of the shield down on the bandsaw table top. If using a Saber saw, cut from the front side of the shield with[/B] 
[B]the inside down.[/B] [B]The curved front of the shield must be covered to protect from scratches. [/B]
[B]I usually cover with a thin cardboard or heavy plastic bags. Anything to prevent scratched.[/B] 
[B]Many will disagree but almost any type of saw blade will work. Most shields are tough Polycarbonate plastic (Lexan) which does not crack, chip, or scratch too easily. [/B]
[B]I use a "Six teeth per inch" wood blade on my bandsaw. A finer blade demands less sanding but I am too lazy to change blades.[/B] 
[B]Cut on the line, using as smooth a motion as possible so as to reduce the sanding chore.[/B]
[IMG]http://tidyville.roadstarclinic.com/shield3.jpg[/IMG] [B]Here is a very important hint : [/B][B]Sand the edge round (like the rest of the shield) [/B]
[B]WITH THE SHIELD STANDING UPRIGHT !! [/B]
[B]If you lay it down the plastic dust will cause scratches where it contacts the table. [/B]
[B]Use 80 grit paper in a palm sander then switch to 220 for a "Fairly" smooth finish. This job can[/B] 
[B]also be done by hand using the sandpaper on a piece of wood 2 x 4.  Just get[/B] 
[B]a smooth finish with a curved edge that is the same as the rest of the[/B] 
[B]shield.[/B]
[B]The final step that produces that "Factory" edge is sort of delicate. If you slip here you will have a spotted shield![/B] [B]Most hardware stores sell M.E.K. (methyl ethyl keytone) as a universal solvent. This stuff "Melts" plastic. Moisten a COTTON rag just big enough to wrap over your index finger. Get it very wet, but not dripping.[/B] 
[B]With a steady motion, wipe the newly sanded edge in one smooth stroke. WOW[/B] 
[B]!!! It turns clear !![/B] 
[B]If necessary , wait a few minutes and do it again. The plastic dries almost immediately.[/B] 
[B]I suggest you practice the "Wipe" on the piece you cut off. It really is easy , as long as you don't drip.[/B] 
[B]That's it ! Simple, but do it right the first time.And don't sniff too much[/B] 
[B]of that M.E.K. ![/B]
[B]From This[/B][IMG]http://tidyville.roadstarclinic.com/shield.jpg[/IMG] [B]To This[/B][IMG]http://tidyville.roadstarclinic.com/shield4.jpg[/IMG]

The height issue is a bit misleading as the important measurement is from arse to eye, and most of us are far from standard:D

I bought a cool looking short screen, HD, smoked, fit straight on the standard mountings, looked the bizzz, it was like having a vibrator taped to the back of my helmet ( you all know what I mean !) absolutely useless to me, my head was right in the buffeting zone, I'm 6' tall.

So if any shortstop wants it send me ?50 and it's yours, and that includes the postage.:) or I will bring it to the AGM.

I'll even leave the dpbRK stickies on it.

I have a 2003 anniversary Fatboy in black with passing lamps fitted.

I opted for the adjustable height screen which I think is no longer listed & which I think the part number is 57703-02. I had it brought over from a USA Ebayer H.Dealer. They are still showing over there on Ebay if you can get somebody to ship to UK.
They are quickly detachable and I only tend to put it on for the longer motorway rides. It adjusts very easily with a couple of toggle clamp levers.

It goes well with the black model and gives the advantage of a low screen when needed + higher if you want. On the low setting you can see over easily when raining but it buffets the top of your helmet at higher speeds. I have tried it on the higher setting but I prefer looking over the top edge on the lower setting, plus it looks better on the shorter setting.

If I was opting for a non-adjustable I would go for the low height model deffo.

dpb-RK said:
it was like having a vibrator taped to the back of my helmet ( you all know what I mean !) absolutely useless to me, my head was right in the buffeting zone, I'm 6' tall.
I know exactly what you mean. I had an adjustable screen on my last Softail and played around with the settings to achieve the best results.

However, at ALL height settings I experienced major buffeting, which would often move my head from side to side enough to affect vision.
yikes.gif
This became evident at motorway speeds, which totally defeats the object of having a screen. Based on this experience, I do not plan to ride with a screen again.

PS the prospect of taping a vibrator to my helmet seems strangely attractive. I know, TAXI...

tardle said:
Thanks for the information folks,
Think it will be a HD screen & I,ll cut it down in stages & see how it goes. But, maybe if I buy & fit the mounting kit my local dealer may let me try some different size screens from the s/hand bikes if I'm buying the screen from them.
Thanks for taking the trouble to answer
:) trev

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back