ECU Falure

P

peter b

525 miles on odo and ECU fails.............

...........that will be ?450 plus VAT

:frown:

Last edited:
Re: ECU Falure

If you mean from new, surely that should be covered by warranty? Contact your dealer!

Even if it's out of Warranty on time, with those miles I'd be pressing for a replacement FOC.

Peter

It was an 8/2005 which had been dry stored 2006-2010.

Fully recommissioned without any faults. drove it Mot testing station no probs. 2 Dutch guys drive over to collect it after agreeing price based on photos and discussions and give them plip to disarm and let them start it and all it does is turn over. Bundle it into their van and take it to local HD dealer who diagnoses ECU failure, both coil packs & both injectors fail. Total just under ?1000

And I was thinking of buying another HD....

ROFL

I should think that you have more chance of winning the lottery than having your ECU, coil pack and injectors all failing at the same time, unless it's been struck by lightening. I think it's more likely that a not very good tech has run the diagnostics, diagnosed the coil pack, changed the coil pack. It still don't work, run the diagnostics again and diagnosed the injectors, changed those, it still don't work, so it must be the ECU. Changed the ECU and disturbed a dodgy connection and all is well.

Just to recap.
You bought the bike last September and it had been "dry" stored in a "wet" garage.
You started it up,polished the hell out of it,rode it to the MOT and back,then rolled it over to the Euro market for a profit.
Now after this lengthy bonding process,you've decided you might not get another Harley.Fair do's,I hope you enjoy what ever you get instead.
I've never even sat on a Rod,I'm not a dealer,or a HD Tech.
On the law of proabilities and engine management in general,I'd have said it's not likely that the ECU,coils,and injectors would have packed up.
If it had happened when you first removed it from the damp garage,then the ECU could have been a problem,but two days in the airing cupboard has brought many back from the dead.I'd guess that corroded pins in the connectors would more likely be the problem.No connection,no signal,no start.In fact a duff CPS would have given the same result.
I really do hope you find something you like.:smile:

Are you sure that you haven't been 'stitched up' by these Dutch guys or perhaps a dealer has done them over on this?

As said above, all 3 items going duff defies the law of probability unless failure is somehow linked.

Peter

Re: ECU Failure

Re: ECU Failure

I had an ECU failure on my softail last year.

I think it cost approx ?350 for the ECU

4 hours labour for tjhe ECU learning (Whatever that is)

and I think and hour or so for fault finding the code said ECU or
coil fault.

But yours should be under warrenty.

Back