Engine light

Kym

Club Member
I’ve got a problem I’ve never come across before but this is my first injected bike
I’ve got a 1999 Electra glide ultra classic and the engine light comes on and goes off as normal when starting the bike but if I use the kill switch to stop the engine the engine light flashes and only happens when I turn the engine off using the kill switch the bike runs fine help it’s driving me crazy ps I’ve also posted this question in the members thread sorry didn’t read the rules properly

It could be a restive short circuit across the kill switch. The Engine warning light is controlled by the ECM, the kill switch makes the circuit to send a voltage to the ECM via the ignition switch when the ignition switch & kill switch are both on.
If there is a short circuit across the kill switch, albeit a resistive one, it could be enough to pass a voltage for the ECM to go through it's self test then drop the voltage so it shuts down, flickering the light.

A check would be turn the ignition on with the kill switch off and see if you get any flicker on the light!

Failing that you need to be looking for short circuits on the ECU, power & Kill switch circuits as well as the Engine Warning light circuit, It is possible there could be an issue with the relays!

99 ECM.jpg

ECM2.jpg

For those like myself who find electrics complicated what is a restive short circuit?

A full short circuit would be no resistance between the two points or there abouts, so regards the kill switch open or closed, full connection, zero resistance.
A resistive short circuit would be where a much higher resistance than a few ohms is across the two points when the switch is open. So you still have a connection but with a resistance of say 200 ohms when the switch is open and zero resistance when closed. This sort of condition can lead to a voltage being detected across the switch but limits the current and the ability to operate properly.

Reactions: Ron
Back