Engine Squeck

Hal

Club Member
Good morning, look for some advice please. Have a 2003 Road King Classic EFI, it has a engine squeck, very loud when starting from cold. When I release clutch, throughout all the gears and/or when I use the throttle. it squecks from the engine. I suppose I have got used to it, although annoying, the bike runs very well. Came to work on it today, and the wife just rung me to say how loud the squeck was as I left the house at 6.30am. So if your cruising and pull in and release the clutch - its squecks and/or if you de-throttle and then open the throttle is squecks - only at the very beginning of the throttle action. Hope the explanation makes sense.

Anyone have any thoughts please.

Thanks as always.
Hal :)

Re: Engine Squeck

sorry I presume a squeak?

If the noise is heard when you use the clutch then I'd think it is from the clutch.
it could be a bearing running dry for instance, checked the primary fluid recently?
unless a person actualy hear's the noise for themselves then its bloody hard to put a finger on.
personally I'd have the primary cover of to see whats happening, it could be the crank shaft nut working loose.
you wont know till you go looking.
for instance I get a funny rattle, its the side stand, but you wouldnt think so to hear it:confused:

Thanks Simon - it would help if I could spell. Really appreciate your reply. Do I need to have a replacement gasket to remove the primary cover? It really is loud, I can hear it clearly over the engine. I will do as you suggest - many thanks.

Does it do it in neutral or standing still?
If its only when moving get your drive belt adjusted.

Hello Phil, thank very much for responding. No it only happens when moving. Is the main drive belt too loose then?

Note I am not even a one spanner man when looking in the Haynes book - I know they are crap. Have another manual (Chalmer ??), but that looks too technical.

Sorry to ask, but is it dangerous to ride, handles and rides OK.

Thanks as always.

Like Phil says check the belt adjustment and alignment. This can cause a really loud squeeeeeeeeek!!!squeeeeeeeek!!! when moving.

If the belt is tensioned correctly and in line try spraying the belt with Mr Sheen, it contains silicon and can help quiteten a noisy belt.

Best bet if it's REALLY noisey and you don't know what you are doing is take it to your local friendly mechanic ;it could be cheaper in the long run and will give you peace of mind.

it might help to jack the rear end off the ground where you turn the wheel by hand?

Hal said:
it has a engine squeck, very loud when starting from cold. When I release clutch, throughout all the gears and/or when I use the throttle. it squecks from the engine.

. So if your cruising and pull in and release the clutch - its squecks and/or if you de-throttle and then open the throttle is squecks - only at the very beginning of the throttle action. Hope the explanation makes sense.

Anyone have any thoughts please.

Thanks as always.

as I read it it still appears clutch related according to the description:confused:

Constant 'whine' going up and down with speed when the bike (as a whole) is hot, the belt is too tight.
Intermittent screech/squeak on accell/decell its too loose.

harleyhog said:
Constant 'whine' going up and down with speed when the bike (as a whole) is hot, the belt is too tight.
Intermittent screech/squeak on accell/decell its too loose.
Quite.

Thanks HH and everyone. I think the belt might be too loose, its certaintly is not too tight. I have a service booked and a new tyre to be fitted, so I will get it checked then.

Really appreciate everyones help.

Back