engine temp sensor

T

tbgjlb

Hello all

I have a sick 97 flhtci :( , after coming home after a short ride I went to go back out but on starting up the bike the engine light stayed on so I checked the diagnostics and it came up with the code for engine temperature sensor.

As I am not too good at the bike maintenance stuff I was going to take it to my local dealer. What I was hoping someone could help me with is it safe to ride the bike to the dealers which are about 50 mile away or will it totally screw the bike up. I know this may sound a bit soft but I have no idea what the sensor does.

Thanks for any help

tom

Re: engine temp sensor

The temp sensor on your bike is in the front head & installs down the hole in the middle of the rocker cover. You will need a long 3/4 or 11/16 socket to get it out (can`t remember). Part # is 32446-95A. Costs $94.50 here.
Usually when the temp sensor fails the system goes into a `safe` mode, it will run but thinks the engine is cold, so runs like the choke is out.
If you do it yourself make sure that you do not knock any pieces of dirt into the sensor hole before you put the new one in, it is a good idea to get an air nozzle & blow the crap out before taking the old one out.
Should be ok to ride.

A simple tubular 3/4" box wrench fits the newer ones, not sure about the older ones.

For the TC's, I got a cheap set and cut the 3/4" X 7/8" one in half so I could install the ET sensor *after* tightening the intake manifold during my B.B's.
More room to manoeuvre without the sensor in the way ;)

260001biggest.jpg

Last edited:

Your older one looks the same except its longer.

Last edited:

Thanks for the help.

I probably won?t do the job myself ( all thumbs ), I was just checking to see if I could ride 50-60 miles without screwing the bike up and end up costing even more money that I don?t really have.

Again thank you

Tom

Sounds like we can cope with that:D

You get the 'bit', I'll get the socket thingy:cool:

Quick thought here, you most likley have already done it, check the connector to the sensor is good and making a good contact.

Could save you some money and a trip if it is not! :cool:

I was just thinking of taking a day off work and going for a nice ride down to black bear and maybe try a demo bike out if possible while they fix the bike.

Tom

Back