Esso Synergy Supreme

Oldguy

Club Member
In case anyone missed this :grumpy::

Esso Synergy Supreme+ petrol has up to 5% ethanol in North of England, North Wales, Scotland, Devon and Cornwall.

Currently in other areas of the UK, Esso Synergy Supreme+ petrol may be ethanol free at Esso branded petrol filling stations that are normally supplied directly from an Esso terminal.

However, please note that from September 2023 our Synergy Supreme+ 99 will transition to contain up to a maximum of 5% ethanol at all Esso pumps irrespective of which part of the country they are located.

Run my M8 on 10% between April - Sept, as it gets a lot of use.
During the 'quieter' months I use the 5%.
Just me? Thinking along the lines of - less ethanol, less moisture attracted.

I read in the most recent Classic Mechanics - Esso confirmed their Supreme does not contain any ethanol.

Run my M8 on 10% between April - Sept, as it gets a lot of use.
During the 'quieter' months I use the 5%.
Just me? Thinking along the lines of - less ethanol, less moisture attracted.
Pretty much what I do. Mebbe a slightly longer window, say March to October I'll pull up to a pump and if it has E5 I'll use that, if E10, that'll do. In the colder months when the bike's more likely to be standing for more than a few days, I'll wait for an E5 pump. Same reasons, and I've seen what it did to my BSA carbs when I had no choice but to use E10 and the bike was left, just for a few weeks. 'Orrible stuff.

...and I've seen what it did to my BSA carbs when I had no choice but to use E10 and the bike was left, just for a few weeks. 'Orrible stuff.
Yep, a few years leaving a fuel injected Triumph standing unused - now that cost me a pretty penny to rectify!:cry:
Moral of the story - if if using E5/10 and storing; drain the tank 'til dry and run the engine to clear the injectors!

Reactions: ss2
When I changed the carb to CV on the FXR, I had totally cleaned the parts in an ultrasonic, filled up with E5 in error on the last fill--
Had to leave the bike for several months over winter before trying to start it, no way.
All the primary circuit and accelerator pump blocked solid with yellow/green corrosion and the emulsion tube caked with brown tar.
Had to use another carb in the end. I hate the stuff!!

Bugger, there goes navigating by Esso stations, though it will make route planning easier.

I've had E5 mixed with Sta Bil in my FLH shovel for 4 months. Thumbed it up yesterday and it fired straight away - no problems.

Yup, we old, not daily users will have to plumb for additives, I still have Tetraboost in the cupboard, and no cat converters, Oh Yes!!

Back