Evo Engine Paint (again)

W

Walenut

Sorry to bring this up again as I'm sure you've all been asked a thousand time but a big flake fell off the underside of the engine and I want to touch it back up, I've done a search but what recommendations would you suggest.

If I remember Harley use to do a small touch up, or is this the same as the stuff that you use to be able to buy for painting the dash panels on old British sports cars, use to come in a spray can, and can you even get that stuff any more?

Re: Evo Engine Paint (again)

I put this on my website. Hope it helps.

Is yer bike looking it's best. Nice bright paintwork. Lovely shiny chrome, but.. Oh dear, whats happened to the black paint on your engine. It looks to be flaking off. To much time under the pressure washer methinks.
Here is a top (& Cheap) tip for reblacking yer engine fins & cases.
Barbeque Paint. Yes thats right, good old B&Q, BBQ paint.
Don't believe me. Then click on the pic to be amazed.

Click on each small pic in the article for a full size pic.

Cheers Mick, will this also be a good match for touching up a smallish area?

Walenut said:
Cheers Mick, will this also be a good match for touching up a smallish area?

Huv heard that Dan loves gettin his "smallish areas" touched up:eek: G.I.R.U.Y:D :D

To touch up small areas I always use a Black Marker Pen. I've used them for years & it don't wash off..:D :D

On Dans reccomendation, i bought a can of brush on barbecue paint from Homebase. The underside of my engine was extremely chipped and looked scruffy. I simply brushed off the loose, flaky paint with a wire brush, degeased the section i wanted to paint, gave it a final light sanding then brushed on two coats of this stuff. I also touched in some smaller chips on the cylinders etc. This stuff was a flat black and so it didn`t really blend with the original paint.
What i did then was to spray the whole engine with WD40. [Once the paint was dry] and let it dry also. The finished article looked like it just came off the production line, no trace of the touching in remained. All i had to do then was clean the WD off all the chrome! ;)

the chopper crowd also use BBQ paint for pipes. Buy the highest temp rating you can for that.

Cheers all, I'll have a mess, the area is about 2" dia with a couple of small chips here and there.

HD makes a small bottle of touch up wrinkle paint.
I find S-100 engine brightener to be the best to keep engines looking good.

Phild said:
aha but is it as cheap, remember im scottish;) :D :D

Phild said:

Unfortunately Phil, S100 engine brightener is no longer available in the U.K. I heard some B.S. about the fumes being toxic, well if thats the case, why can you get it in California still? Hell, they`re first to ban anything that could be remotely harmfull to yer health! :mad:

Well I used some Halfords high temperature exhaust paint on the underside of the cases, seemed like a pretty good match, probably the same as barbecue paint but I had it kicking around my shed.

Something else that I also had in the garage which worked really well on the black engine cases was some stuff by Car Plan called Black trim wax.
Designed to stop textured black bumpers going grey, brought them up a treat, painted it on with a brush then just polished it up and the great thing was because its a wax it just polishes off everything where you don't want it, mind you I had a go with some boot polish at work and that worked just as well, bit harder to put on though.

Noticed a fair bit of corrosion underneath, nothing bad but more than I was expecting, looks like some powder coating to be done in the winter. :(

Also found a made in Taiwan sticker on my rear passenger foot boards:eek:

BrunoKatz WW1FighterPilot said:
Unfortunately Phil, S100 engine brightener is no longer available in the U.K. I heard some B.S. about the fumes being toxic, well if thats the case, why can you get it in California still? Hell, they`re first to ban anything that could be remotely harmfull to yer health! :mad:

Its back it was withdrawn for sometime summer '05, but its most definitely back as of a couple of months ago with most dealers having it in stock again. Stadium, Warrs & Black Bear all are now deffo selling it again.
I was told it was because some twat decided to drink it and to cut a long story short it was not licensed for sale in the UK /EU which is odd as it is made in Germany.

I did try to buy some in the H-D dealer in Innsbruck last July and they had never heard of it despite me pointing it out to them in their P&A catalogue! :confused:

It is the best stuff to keep the black motors looking at their best even used it on the black cased BMW I had, the finish lasts for ages.

Thanks SJ, well that is good news, guess i`ll mosy on down to Dockgate HD this weekend and ask why they haven`t got any!

I used it for a couple of years and i agree with you, it`s the best stuff to keep the black bits looking black. I was gutted when they discontinued it and been trying unsuccessfully to find a substitute for it since then.

Cheers, Bruno. :) :) :)

i get paint from my local wood burning stove agent...the matt black which is for very very high temperatures of wood burners...works wonderfully well..

Back