Fatboy number plate?

W

Walenut

Has anyone relocated their number plate on a Fatboy?

Only I recently brought a new plate for mine and after I removed the old plate I looked at the bike and bearing in mind I have removed the dual seat for a single, and thought how much better the rear end would look without the plate.

I know you can get a mount to locate it on the side of the bike but not sure that it would suit a Fatboy, so I wondered about positioning it below the rear light but this would mean turning the rear light the other way round so the plate was illuminated and manufacturing a bracket?

If anyone has done this or has a photo of a relocated number plate on a Fatboy and could send it me or put it up I'd be grateful.

Re: Fatboy number plate?

Has anyone relocated their number plate on a Fatboy?

Only I recently brought a new plate for mine and after I removed the old plate I looked at the bike and bearing in mind I have removed the dual seat for a single, and thought how much better the rear end would look without the plate.

I know you can get a mount to locate it on the side of the bike but not sure that it would suit a Fatboy, so I wondered about positioning it below the rear light but this would mean turning the rear light the other way round so the plate was illuminated and manufacturing a bracket?

If anyone has done this or has a photo of a relocated number plate on a Fatboy and could send it me or put it up I'd be grateful.

If you really wanted to do this you could use the type of rear light fitted to Glides when they had the number plate mounted below the light (only UK models?).

If you are considering a respray at any time in the near future you could include the number plate in the paint scheme. I've seem this done to good effect. There was a bobber in BSH some time ago built by someone from Ricks Cycles that featured this.

Cheers Phil and Karen,
I'll look out for the glide, I am thinking that may be I'll pick up a replacement rear mudguard and get it matched to the rest of the bike as its now got various holes in it after removing the pillion seat pad, that way I can keep my standard rear fender if I ever decided to return it to standard, anyone else got any thoughts on this, would it look make it look to much like a VN or other Jasp cruisers?

Hi. Performance machine do a rear fender that has the number plate as part of it, i know that they advertise it for a different model than yours, but maybe it mioght fit, or they might make one for your bike if you ask them. If i remember correctly it comes uner the "Phatail" banner. All the best. Cheers

As Phil says there are plenty of these around...

View attachment 2250

at swop meets as the trend was to take them off and fit plate above the rear brake light copying the USA and the later UK models. This is my 03 RK before I changed it over. The lense needed changing as well. so to shine downwards.

I'll pop down in the garage and see if I still have them!

Nope sorry!

Last edited:

Cheers guys, thanks for the photo Baza, is the indicator assembly part of the rear light?

Any idea what the number plate bracket looks like?

The more I look at this the more I think I like it, bit different and allows the rear end to be shown properly.

The indicators are separate. But the original plate bracket for the UK market had a light incorporated with it. you can see the little chrome light in the picture in above post under the brake light lense, and it missing in this one: View attachment 2255

Where the bracket fitted at the bottom it left a whole so I put an extra rear light on like this photo
View attachment 2256

(not my bike)

Last edited:

Cheers again Baza, a couple more questions before I embark on finding the parts, why would you need the little chrome light, did the original rear light not have a clear section underneath it or was it because it was to far away from the plate?

And do you think that I could utilise the RK number plate bracket or is the rear mudguard too different from the Fatboy's?

Cheers again Baza, a couple more questions before I embark on finding the parts, why would you need the little chrome light, did the original rear light not have a clear section underneath it or was it because it was to far away from the plate?

And do you think that I could utilise the RK number plate bracket or is the rear mudguard too different from the Fatboy's?

I think the original lense was all red.
To be quite honest I would not bother finding the parts. All I would do is get the lense that has the clear underneath panel. As long as your inners can change over? And I would fit the plate onto the mudguard at whatever angle you want on to a made up bracket smaller than whatever size plate you are using.

You don't need to change the light. You can fit one of those micro number plate lights that screw into the number plate itself.
uckj1d5k.jpg

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=539151

That's a really neat little light banquo but I would not like my # plate uner my rear brake lense with the top of the lense being clear, would look a bit out of place.
Still a great little light. I'm sure he will be able to change lenses I did without having to buy a whole new unit.

Yeah, see the point Baza, although I think I'd be happy to remove the lens, and blank or paint the inside (away from the weather) to avoid having a searchlight on the top...:60277EB7B04744289C0
Remember, this is one mean Scotsman, who won't buy anything unless it's cheap, and necessary.
Shi7! - why did I buy that faichin' Harley then....:redface:

Yeah, see the point Baza, although I think I'd be happy to remove the lens, and blank or paint the inside (away from the weather) to avoid having a searchlight on the top...:60277EB7B04744289C0
Remember, this is one mean Scotsman, who won't buy anything unless it's cheap, and necessary.
Shi7! - why did I buy that faichin' Harley then....:redface:

:D Cheers guys.

Back