Ferry crossing

Doughnut ysl

Hi, I am thinking of taking a small group over to the Isle Of wight for a day out, maybe 12 - 15 Harleys.
Can the ferry's cope with a group crossing all together? If so which is the best ferry to take?
We're thinking a week day in June.
Do the bikes get strapped (like the cross channel) or do with just stay with them (like on the train).
I've never been to the Isle Of Wight before but looking on the map it seems you could have a nice ride around the coastline in a few hours, does that sound right?
Thank you in advance :)
Paul

Re: Ferry crossing

Being an ex Isle of Wighter and used the Portsmouth ferry many a time of course they can cope with loads of bikes.
You don't stay with them and they are not strapped down. we are only talking 35 minutes!

No need for strapping down darlin as Sue said 1 hour tops ont even get too rough lol you can go up top an have a bevvie and you will be there before you know it:D

Great thank you :)
I was worried cause I know if they strap them there would be a limit on how many they could take.
How about the Lymington to Yarmouth, is that a good route?
We can get to Porstmouth, Southampton and Lymington just as easily, which would be best do you think?
Thanks
Paul

Portsmouth - quicker!
Lymington - pain to get to
Southampton - too long on boat.

We went over with a group last September. There was no problem with the number of bikes, but the weather was bad on the way back and ferry staff advised us to stay with the bikes as it was likely to be a rough crossing. Even with that weather, the crew didn't strap the bikes down.

Being an ex Isle of Wighter and used the Portsmouth ferry many a time of course they can cope with loads of bikes.
You don't stay with them and they are not strapped down. we are only talking 35 minutes!

"Isle of wighter" Don't you mean Caulkhead. :D

"Isle of wighter" Don't you mean Caulkhead. :D

Yep - and proud of it!
so is my dad both of us born there.

The question is do they need more Grockles paying a visit?

Been over to IoW on many occasions, only ever been via Portsmouth, so don't know the other routes. Theres enough time to stay on deck and enjoy the crossing or put your feet up and have a cuppa. No need to pre- book a timed sailing, (cars do at the more popular times). Just turn up, you'll all get on.
If it's looking a bit choppy I just leave the bike in gear on the sidestand.
Lots to see and do over there, don't just rattle round in 'a couple of hours' try and make a day of it. Some of the more 'country' road surfaces can be a bit rough in places. But saying that, the state of the roads now in London - Sh*t!
When going over for a rally, I show my rally ticket and have got a discount on the ferry price, if theres more than that ten of you going, try for a group discount; no harm in asking for one!
Enjoy your day.
I'll be there May BH.

You've all been a great help, thank you:smile:
Portsmouth it is then and a few more grockles coming your way, not for long though so dont worry :wink:

Sorry to be a pain, but can anyone make any suggestions of nice places to visit along the coast?
Some intersting biking roads / routes
Somewhere nice to eat thats biker friendly and maybe a biker cafe / hangout?
We're only there for the day and would like to make the most of it if at all possible.

I've had one suggestion of the The dairymans daughter pub set in the Arreton Barns Craft Village, does that ring any bells??

Thank you for your help on this:)

Get over the other side of the island and get on the military road between freshwater and sandown.

Of course you could make a weekend of it and come to the Region 19 rally 21-23 June :wink:

I'd love to come to the rally but I'll be on my way back from the 110th Anniversary Celebrations in Rome that weekend. We ain to come over the Monday once we've unpacked :)

I'm still hoping for suggestions of a nice pub to stop for lunch, somewhere on the coast, I'm leading the ride but haven't been over there before:)

We are hoping to do a circuit, a couple of coffee stops and a lunch stop before heading back.

Decent pub for lunch try the Wight Mouse at Chale, decent parking, gardens and good food and ale. Dairymans daughter is inland but still good. Roads are very bad and pot holed so be careful. I live here so from the horses mouth. Police are not a problem usually, they nevered bothered anybody at our rallies.

Watch out for nissan micra drivers, the island is gods waiting room so dithering old drivers everywhere. Clockwise circular route from Ryde -bembridge-sandown/shanklin-ventnor- chale-freshwater-yarmouth- cowes-newport-wootton-Ryde. Or anti clockwise just the other way.

Hope this helps. I missed out East Cowes as although it has Osborne House, if the world had piles this is where they would be.

Back