Filtering

Re: Filtering

Actually, I have noticed over recent years that cars are more likely to allow you some elbow room when they see you approaching than they used to - so I think it is very good bike politics to acknowledge their effort and makes them more inclined to repeat it for other bikes.

Thanks for sharing. I am yet to filter and as a new rider I don't think I will till I feel 'experienced' enough to do so.

When I'm in my car I always try to move over a bit if possible when I see someone approaching. But you can tell when there's a biker who doesn't drive (same for cyclists who don't drive) they hang around in the blind spots for way too long without realizing. Bikers aren't so bad cos you can usually hear them but those cyclists..... argh!!

I do a lot of filtering on the m8 during works traffic. The majority of cars will move over a bit when they see the bike but i have to say the worst culprits for making it difficult are white vans and bmw drivers, apart from them most are fine.

Spot on Chaz......white vans & bmw 's are ignorant fcukers most of the time. :frown:

Good link Karl....

These are also worth reading if a newbie or you want refreshing up...

I rode with the Met police a couple of years ago and brushed up a lot of things that had slipped my mind over riding for 44 years.

Filtering
Ged

Filtering
Limey_Dave

And if in Spain touring:
Filtering in Spain on a motorcycle new rules/laws
BaZa?

Also VERY important the USA laws re filtering vary from state to state.

I do a lot of filtering on the m8 during works traffic. The majority of cars will move over a bit when they see the bike but i have to say the worst culprits for making it difficult are white vans and bmw drivers, apart from them most are fine.
I reckon Audis with silly eyebrow lights are the worst, not only with filtering, but trying to get in your boot or onto your pillion seat all the time. Must think that they are the most important people on the road:mad:

Try filtering in London, bastads won't give you a inch,infact if anything they do their best to get in the way, I hate London .

Try filtering in London, bastads won't give you a inch,infact if anything they do their best to get in the way, I hate London .

+ 1 Eric, when I did courier work on my old GT 380 and later Honda 4 it was a nightmare, within the few companies then: Mercury, Pony Express etc there was so many fatalities so often heard over the radio from control. :mad:

Still a nightmare with all the old Victorian man hole covers and years ago diesel from buses and taxis not so bad now.

Come on peeps don't forget Volvos... :wink:

I reckon Audis with silly eyebrow lights are the worst, not only with filtering, but trying to get in your boot or onto your pillion seat all the time. Must think that they are the most important people on the road:mad:

Funny you should say that because I had the very same conversation at the weekend.
They do seem to have developed an added "sense of urgency" recently.
Or maybe I'm just biased, being an ignorant BMW driver and all!!!!!
:439:

Back