Fire stick

Mr B

Does anyone use one of these Amazon firesticks. Are they everything they're cracked up to be.

I want tv in a bedroom that doesn't get used much, and I didn't want to go to the trouble of installing a free view aerial and running coax cable. A fire stick seems to be the answer if they work ok. I've got a good strong wi fi all around the house.

Brian.

Re: Fire stick

I haven't but my daughter has. They're pretty good but from her experience a very strong WiFi and very important, a top notch broadband download speed are crucial.

A bit limited if you don't have a Prime account. Most of the internet based "sticks" are geared towards a subscription based service.

Other options If you have satellite you can run a freesat box from the existing sky antenna.

Last edited:

Thanks so far. I've got a very strong Virgin Media wi fi. I only need freeview in this bedroom so when my grandson stays...he's got something to watch.

I've been with Virgin Media for years, and they want ?30 a month extra to put a box in for me. It's only likely to get used once a month.

Brian.

Thanks so far. I've got a very strong Virgin Media wi fi. I only need freeview in this bedroom so when my grandson stays...he's got something to watch.

I've been with Virgin Media for years, and they want ?30 a month extra to put a box in for me. It's only likely to get used once a month.

Brian.

Other options if you have other digital devices are hook it a laptop through the HDMI. Use a tablet with an HDMI such as a Kindle Fire or use a chrome cast stick. All require another device to connect but at least give you full internet connectivity with no subscription

If you have a TV with wifi in it then you can go direct through your router to the net. No extra cost. That opens up free to watch tv , youtube - catch up on tv channels - all sorts (even get this forum on BIG screen lol )

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Tom...I reckon that's the way to go, I've got to buy a tv for this, so I'll look into it more and get a smart tv. The room it's going to be in is directly above the room where the router is, so I could even hard wire it easily if I wanted to.

Brian.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Tom...I reckon that's the way to go, I've got to buy a tv for this, so I'll look into it more and get a smart tv. The room it's going to be in is directly above the room where the router is, so I could even hard wire it easily if I wanted to.

Brian.

Don't have to hard wire anything Brian that's the point. My main TV is wifi which connects to my virgin router and on to the net. Piece of wee wee.

Get a Firestick with Mobdro and Kodi on it. You can watch any channel or film you like for free.

Last edited:

I've used one for ages, I even take it on holiday abroad and plug it into the TV in the hotel room (you need an IP masker abroad)

Kodi is the way to go for free films, but we use BBC IPlayer and the catch up services all the time.

For ?35 you can't go wrong.

I recently bumped into an old mate of mine he was with his wife and they both told us that they have never had a TV in 35yrs or bought a paper and I thought I wish I could go down that road no news no crap no thinking about how the world was evolving especially in the world of Trump. Sky TV how many of us sit with the remote go through channel after channel and end up watching Fools n Horses from 25yrs ago nowt wrong with that but how much crap is on there including Naked date what a load of bollox so maybe not having a TV or news papers could be the way to go.

Done it myself many a time. Switch tv on. Nothing much on that I fancy. Search 200+ channels - still nothing. Plug another device in - search 200+ channels - still nothing. Sit there desperately trying to find something to watch. Give up. Go to garage. Find something to do in there or on the bike. Should have done that in the first place.

its true Tom you end up watching shite that you would never watch in the first place, my wife would put the goggle box in the bin tomorrow imagine life not knowing about Brexit or dodgy Russian tourists with funny smelling perfume bottles who really wanted to visit Salisbury. in fact im just sitting watching the news yes I aint gave the telly away yet and the subject is Butt lifts a woman has just died from having her arse lifted unbelievable she knew what the crack was its all bollox the worlds gone mad and poor Ronaldo has a rape charge against him what next

Someone I know said the other day (and it's so true) There's a special kind of stupid out there at the moment and it's doing very nicely thank you

very True Tom but Mr Stupid ( in the words of the imortal Blackadder ) has now turned into Mr Thicko

I use Firestick with great success.
As it works over the internet, once one site is removed another takes its place, so you would be able to continue watching, and there are plenty of tutorials on the web to 'tune' them yourself, tutorials on how to jailbreak it, how to install Kodi addons and use them effectively

Last edited:

I use Firestick with great success.
As it works over the internet, once one site is removed another takes its place, so you would be able to continue watching, and there are plenty of tutorials on the web to 'tune' them yourself, tutorials on how to jailbreak it, how to install Kodi addons and use them effectively

I started having issues with Mobdro and KODI as the versions I had became unsupported, so followed an online tutorial on how to update to latest version and now it's completely buggered :glee::hopelessness::glee:

99% of TV that I watch is via my fire stick. My Son pays the subscription for Amazon prime, Motor Trend and Netflix (in his own home), and nominates me as an additional user for free. Kodi tends to get wiped when the firestick updates.

Also the good thing about firesticks/fireboxes is that you can pretty much run any Android app on them. Some apps are available to direct install on the stick via the Amazon website but it is possible to transfer the apps you have installed on your phone, and the files stored there, to the stick. To do this you'll need to install an app called F-Driod, which is an app store. There you will find Apps2Fire. A great little app which gets around the limitations set by Amazon. This can be especially useful when installing IPTV apps that Amazon have blocked.

Back