Firing on one cylinder

Usually when the rear cylinder drops out, and other possible causes have been eliminated .... it's the ignition module.

Usually when the rear cylinder drops out, and other possible causes have been eliminated .... it's the ignition module.
The strange thing is, when I hold the plug cap about 10mm away from the plug, I can see the spark jumping across from the lead to the plug and it fires on both cylinders. Only when I press the cap onto the plug does it stop firing.

The strange thing is, when I hold the plug cap about 10mm away from the plug, I can see the spark jumping across from the lead to the plug and it fires on both cylinders. Only when I press the cap onto the plug does it stop firing.
You can see a Spark when you hold the Cap to the Spark Plug Top but nothing when you put the Cap onto the Plug. I would change the Spark Plug as it seems there is a problem with that plug. Holding the Cap to the top of the Plug is the same as holding the Cap to any good Earth point, you will see a spark.

You can see a Spark when you hold the Cap to the Spark Plug Top but nothing when you put the Cap onto the Plug. I would change the Spark Plug as it seems there is a problem with that plug. Holding the Cap to the top of the Plug is the same as holding the Cap to any good Earth point, you will see a spark.
I’ve already tried 2 different sets of plugs with the same result. I’ll check the wire that goes from the TwinTec unit to the rear coil. If that doesn’t solve the problem then I really don’t know what else to check !

I’ve spent the afternoon in the garage mainly checking the wiring. I found the cable that supplies the power to the coils was pinched but that was about it. I changed the setting on the TwinTec ignition unit to multi spark and I cleaned all the contacts on the coils. At the moment, it’s firing on both jugs. I’m firing it up at each stage of putting it back together as a check. I do hope it stops firing at one stage, at least then I’d know exactly what the problem was.

I think you have found it, the pinched wire. Was it enough to break the insulation or to actually break the wires? Have you examined the pinch thoroughly?

Ah! the solve itself problem - the worse kind! will it return? (rather find a guilty baddie than not find anything..)

100% agree mate. I just hope I find the problem tomorrow. If not there’s always the possibility it could happen again.

I’l
I think you have found it, the pinched wire. Was it enough to break the insulation or to actually break the wires? Have you examined the pinch thoroughly?
It was squashed behind the electrical box, it looked as if it was flattened but I don’t think it was broken. I’ll be having a good look at it tomorrow.

Back