Fitting Mini-Tach to 2000 FLHR

Steppenwulf

Non Member
I am in the process of fitting a tachometer to my Road King and the supplied instructions are a little vague. I need to plug the tach's pink lead to Signal, which on a 2000 FLHR is cavity number 6 on the speedometer connector. The question is, which one is cavity 6?

And while I'm at it there is a pink wire on the bikes existing loom that at the moment is taken upto the speedometer connector but is not actually connected. Should I be combining this lead and the tach's lead into a two into one and then placing them into cavity number 6?

Any ideas much appreciated, I think I know the answer but I'd be happy to have it confirmed before progressing. Ta fellas.

Re: Fitting Mini-Tach to 2000 FLHR

And while I'm at it there is a pink wire on the bikes existing loom that at the moment is taken upto the speedometer connector but is not actually connected.

Dis-regard the instructions, that pink wire *should* be the RPM signal wire.
Connect to it for your RPM pick-up, power and ground wherever tickles your fancy.
My books start at 01, the wiring diagram doesn't show a RPM pick-up wire going to the speedo, it's coming out of the interconnect harness for the tach equipped FLT's and going to the well, their tachs LOL.

You RK hasn't got a tach as O.E.M so the wire shouldn't be connected anywhere/to anything.

I recently fitted a tach to my 96 RK so this may help or not.

There will be either. green red black or green red black blue wires from the tach.

green to NEG side of coil, red and black= pos and neg from where convenient ( I used the back of the speedo, the wires follow the harness allowing the panel to fold backwards out of the way as normal)

green to NEG side of coil, red and black= pos and neg from where convenient blue to power convertor if used (probably not).

It is important that you determine for sure which side of the coil is neg.:)

Steppenwulf said:
I think I know the answer

As per normal I don't know the answer, ;) I was going to send both of the pinks' 'two into one' into 6! I'll by-pass the speedo then and save me'sen the trouble. Cheers HH.

Do you find having a tacho much help dpb-RK? (By the way the colours coming of mine are black,pink, and orange and white but thanks for your reply)

:D :D Yes, when I recently fitted a SE ignition I found that I could easily make the valves bounce:eek: (the heads are oem). The tacho acts as a constant reminder to go easy on the revs:rolleyes: . Maybe I should fit some heftier springs:)

Don't know if this helps i'm in the process of fitting a tach to my 2004 roadking.My distructions tell you to fit it back of speedo slot3 when looked there was a nice pink plug in the slot.only real probs so far have been said pink wire only 300mm long so having splice a section of wire in the middle.

regards kev

Hi Kev,

There was no pink into 3 on mine, so I followed HH suggestion and connected the tacho pink to the blanked off pink running upto the speedo. It's all wired up and today I'm drilling the handle bar shroud to accept the mount and tomorrow it all goes back together :)

Lizi bought me a Christmas ?170 gift voucher for Stockport HD (that's how much they were going to charge apparently) Well I'm off there later to cash im my voucher for something more useful. God knows what they got that I want- hell, I could end up with some leather chaps, in which case shoot me!

yorkshire_bloke said:
Don't know if this helps i'm in the process of fitting a tach to my 2004 roadking.My distructions tell you to fit it back of speedo slot3 when looked there was a nice pink plug in the slot.only real probs so far have been said pink wire only 300mm long so having splice a section of wire in the middle.

regards kev

The 04's and up are full ***serial data bus*** wiring, completely different from earlier years.
There is NO pink signal wire.

For 04 RK's use (#10) Signal lead adapter in the kit

Sheet J03119 MINI TACH GAUGE KIT Kit Number 68953-04 and 68986-04

(page number 8) to connect into postion 3 at the speedo.

There is a plug in there (position 3) that needs to be removed.
A small plastic locking bar slides out from the side and lets you remove said plug then install the signal lead (#10).
Slide the locking bar back in locking all the wires in place.

Use (#7) the power lead adaptor and slot it into the *P&A ignition* position from the Underneath of the fuse block.
That lead makes the recepticle for a 2 am fuse for power from above.
The other side of the circuit is already there.

Connect them to the supplied harness and ground at one of the two posts under the seat in the recess.

(This is only for 04's and up).

Last edited by a moderator:

the problem is #10 signal lead adaptor has the wrong fitting for the speedo.i completly disassembled the the conector block to disscover this.so the only way the dam thing reaches is to run it up the front of the tank.so thats why i'am planning to splice a section in so i can run it under the tank then up the front as per distructions.

regards kev

I had the same problem with the wiring harness on my tacho, the pink wire was way too short! But saying that there was an extra 75cm section of pink with a connector along with my kit so as you say splice it in and it'll reach no probs.

As an aside my uncle who is an engineering perfectionists came around today with a heat gun to shrink wrap the special connectors and he was blown away by the quality of the kit components. He has had all manner of Brit bikes and has restored them fom the ground up but he had never come across such comprehensive parts kits before, he was well impressed. And while I was tinkering around with what I was doing I must say that the quality of the frame, wiring loom, connectors etc. is really impressive. You can see where your money goes and yes we all knock the crappy bits of chrome plating when it begins to pit but the castings and workmanship is built and designed to last.

Sometimes it's hard to see why we pay a premium for our chosen obsession, obsolete tractor technology and all that. But having fiddled around with the bloody thing for the last couple of days I have come away with a deeper appreciation of why I love the damn things so much.:D :D :D

Thanks for your advice, esp HH (you we're right about ignoring the wiring instructions regarding pink into cavity 6, so MoCo is not entirely perfect).

Hell, which other manufacturer has such a helpful band of brothers who willingly share advice and who can party like animals.

Here's to blue sky's and shimmering blacktop in '06.

Hwyl. :cool:

Steppenwulf said:
Thanks for your advice, esp HH (you we're right about ignoring the wiring instructions regarding pink into cavity 6, so MoCo is not entirely perfect).

emwink.gif

Back