Forward facing Gatso's a problem?

semmyroundel

Club Member
Hi all, while in my van yesterday, a forward facing Gatso flashed twice at me and am wondering if I should be worried.
I've trawled posts here and on pistonheads, and a lot of the posts are quite old so don't know the relevance of them, technology moves on.
The consensus seems to be that they are not accredited to take a photo for evidence if you're on the opposite side of the road and the camera is pointing towards you.
Some have suggested when the film runs out they do flash (film????) as a warning, some say they do take a picture but because of the graduation markings being on the other carriageway they do nothing.
In any event watch this space because I'll report my findings.
Remember this is about a Gatso not other cameras so all bets are off with them, allegedly each type of camera has a different MO.

Re: Forward facing Gatso's a problem?

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. I spoke to a copper mate of mine and he said forget it...they do that sometimes. I didn't hear anything more about it.

Brian.

If its a double flash then there needs to be lines on the road so they can measure speed from them. It does not matter which direction you are traveling.

But most don't have active cameras in them as they are used on rotation. They are still programmed to flash as a warning.

You will find out in the next 14 days, after that forget about it.

Sorry to bring a downer but i went round a blind corner and was flashed head on. I then recieved the pcn three weeks later! I also thought it was not possible. Were you by any chance in bedfordshire? I think they are the leaders in gatso enthusiasm.

Do they still even have real film in them these days? I remember when they first started popping up, that they did use film but surely by now they are all digital and networked???

Do they still even have real film in them these days? I remember when they first started popping up, that they did use film but surely by now they are all digital and networked???

Not yet.

After the net-off scheme ended a few years back (where they kept their ill gotten gains) funding was cut so there was less investment in new cameras and associated technology. There are some digital cameras about but I think there are still the old style as well.

Sorry to bring a downer but i went round a blind corner and was flashed head on. I then recieved the pcn three weeks later! I also thought it was not possible. Were you by any chance in bedfordshire? I think they are the leaders in gatso enthusiasm.

As I understand it the time limit for receiving a NIP is still 14 days.

Thanks guys, it was on the northbound direction of Sandy Lane Teddington, I'd just passed a Gatso facing north, and as I turned the corner, the southbound facing one flashed me face on.
There were markings on the opposite carriageway, and unfortunately I passed a cyclist, giving them a wide berth as you do, would've put me onto those lines.
The general thrust that I've read elsewhere, is that although they could use the evidence they don't, as this type of camera is not certificated in that way.
Anyway keep an eye on this space as I'll surely let you know.

As I understand it the time limit for receiving a NIP is still 14 days.

Think the time limit for them to issue a NIP is 14 days, not receiving it. Been cases where the NIP has gone to a wrong address, but still valid

A week gone by and nothing yet.... got another week still to wait according to most. we'll see...

There are also the Gatso cameras that are dummy cameras. They flash but there is no picture taken, so fingers crossed it was one of those.

THIS is also quite helpful in answering your question.

It suggests that the Gatso (with the visible flash) is only used to capture speeders from the rear. A Truvelo camera is forward facing but uses infra-red to flash so although it flashes, it is not visible.

It does mention a smaller camera being tested which flashes front and back and popular on the continent, but the calibration lines must be on both sides.

This would suggest if there are no calibration lines on your side of the road when flashed you will be ok.

Good Luck

Thanks Dazzlin, two weeks now and still nothing. If at the end of this week nothing comes, I think it's quite conclusive, as you say, no lines on your side, no fine.

Ok, it's nearly three weeks now, plenty of time to have sent me a penalty notice.
So I guess it's official, you don't get a fine on a forward facing Gatso.
Having said that, that's just a Gatso, watch out as others have mentioned here that there are infra red cameras, by their design will not flash, in fact, I would go as to say ANY forward facing camera shouldn't flash for safety reasons, unless of course, you're in France.

Only the other day, I noticed a very tall pair of the newer smaller type speed cameras flash near me on the Hampton Road West, and I saw a Merc driving towards me, and I thought "poor bugger", but then I saw the camera continue to flash I must have counted about twenty by the time I got to it.....technology eh?

In a twist to this tale, I passed said Gatso yesterday, and this time I was in the middle of three vehicles.
As I approached the Gatso (face on again as before) I noted my speed which was about 33-34mph and I was keeping up with the car in front so I know we were both doing the same speed, as was the vehicle behind me, and this car passed with no incident, but F**K me, it flashed twice at me, not him, and as far as I could see in my rear view mirrors, not the car behind either.
Clearly I have a magnetic personality.. for trouble.

I was on the bike though.

Some misapprehensions and confusion here.

Gatso Camera is only type approved in the UK for rear facing.

It is accompanied by the familiar 'ladder' of markings on the road.
It uses a radar to detect your approach speed. As you pass it takes one photo and then either 0.5 or 0.7 of a second later (depending on location it varies, one or the other) it takes a second photograph. Markings are either 5ft or 2m (Depending on when they were painted) Knowing the time and distance the speed can be worked out. This is a 'secondary check' that is used to make sure the radar system got it right. It has to be within 10% of the speed measured by the radar system (primary check)
A Gatso will flash an oncoming car as it moves through the radar but it can't be prosecuted. It's good fun to see if you can get them to go off as you drive past :)

A Truvelo Camera is approved for both facing and rear use.
They use sensors buried in the road to measure your speed. They then take a picture. If the calculation is correct your front wheel will be on 3 closely spaced lines painted across the road. They only take one picture, this is the secondary check.

Both cameras use visible flashes, a Truvelo has a magenta filter across the flash to attenuate it but it is still very visible.

They have 14 days to contact you with an S172 request to identify the driver and a Notice of Intended prosecution. Depending on the speed recorded they may also combine it with an offer of a fixed penalty or a speed awareness course.

This site is the best place on the Web for good advice on anything to do with traffic law and Speeding.

FightBack Forums -> Speeding and other Criminal Offences

Last edited:
Back