Frame worries

neandethal

Hi Folks,
Got my SST250 project home and started examining things and its all very strange. I bought it knowing there was no V5C, so caveat emptor.
The engine numbers are a tad "faded" and i'm not sure if deliberately and the frame number doesn't seem of the correct nomenclature and the number stamped matches one stamped into the side of the plastic airbox, so wondering if a previous owner has "improvised".
The frame number looks properly stamped and the AMF has the small triangle above, not something i think a home stamper would do. the number sequence is
AMF/H-D/DGM14XXX/OM and the engine numbers are s76068xx and *7T61xxx with some interpretation. The engine cases have Harley Davidson on them as suspected it was a later Cagiva.
Could anyone shed any light if these are genuine or its been ringed? Who is best for dating certificates? is it Warrs?

Secondly, it starts really easily and ticks over lovely, but just wont rev out at all above say 2500rpm, haven't delved in yet but its like the choke is stuck on, which its not. removed air filter no difference.
Finally, there are some fine red/blue wired that go down to the side reflectors on the forks, any idea what they are for?
I think in the end its going to be a full rebuild job not a light touch improvement as too many compromises.
Love the bike though and any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo36266.jpg
    photo36266.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Can't find where I put the SST code but the engine and frame numbers should be first a number and letter for the model (ie; SX250 = 6D, SS250 = 9E) then five numbers which are the machines exclusive serial number then H followed by the year (ie; H6 = 1976, H8 = 1978). H8 should be the last HD owned year code, 1979 they were Cagiva BUT the engines still had "Harley-Davidson" cast on them for the first (and maybe even later) year of Cagiva.
Just suddenly remembered where my codes list was, yes 7T is the code for the SST-250, have no idea if Cagiva continued to use the same code system at all.

This club used to be on the DVLA dating register but some years back we were lapsed for no accountable/explained reason and we continue to campaign to be returned, in the meantime I 'spose Warr's would be worth approaching. For future occasion's may I politely suggest when you display your VIN number you put "XXXXX" in place of the serial number, just in case?

Last edited:
comments taken on board and edited. Thanks for update, as headstock stamping has HD im guessing its a HD and not Cagiva, but ill see what i get back from Warrs or may try VMCC as i have a contact, and used them for my Ossa.

Back