Fred Warr / Roy Wiffen

L

LRW53

I think my father, Roy Wiffen, rode with Fred in the 50's when Fred would go to Lakenheath and buy bikes from the US servicemen. Is there anybody still riding who may have known him in the 50's - 60's ?

Re: Fred Warr / Roy Wiffen

Fred's still around, though sadly not in the best of health these days. I'll pass on your question to him ( I'm in touch by e-mail) and let you know.

Regards

Kev

Thanks Kev,

Unfortunately my dad died this in June of last year aged 75. Fred new my dad well, and I e.mailed Fred just after dad died. John Warr gave me Freds e.mail address and told me his dad wasn't well, however Fred never replied to my mail.

When I was born we lived just across the road from Freds old shop, off of Michael Rd and the gasworks as it was then. Dad rode with Fred in the 1950's

His big claim to fame was that in 1968 he did all the riding in the iconic cult classic film " Girl on a Motorcycle" wearing a blonde wig and leather suit ! Marianne faithfull could not ride.

I am putting together a tribute to my old man and am trying to contact anyone on the film to give me locations, etc. So I can recreate the ride through France, Germany and Switzerland. ( without the wig and suit ! ) sometime next year, once I have taken my test, and got hold of the bike used in the film.

If you are in contact with Fred, I am looking to talk to anyone who knew my old man for some anecdotes. He split with my mother when I was seven and I know little about his early life.

Many Thanks

Lee

Lee,
Good luck with your test and hope you get to do the ride.
I think that would be a great tribute to your Dad, and if you can get the original Glide that would be something else!!

Ray

Cheers Batman

May not be the original bike, but as close as I can get.

From the movie it looks like an Electra Glide Super Sport. As the film was released in 68, it was probably made in 67 and perhaps the bike was new then.

I'd appreciate any help with the model and any extras that it appears to have fitted, and if you could keep an eye out for anyone who may have one for sale, that would be good

Thanks

Lee

Lee the film was called 'Naked Under Leather' in the USA so that may help with any research. And I would go for a 1966/67, Electra Glide FL 1200 Shovel.
Girl-on-a-motorcycle.jpg

Personally I would do the trip that your Father did on a modern Twin Cam they are even cheaper to buy than a mid 60's glide in the condition you want it for your journey. And I'm sure your Dad would not mind. Hey you wouldn't even need a back up crew.

Here's an example of old and new....1966 like your Dad rode

1966%20flh%2074%20cubic%20inch%20shovelhead%20electra.jpg

1999 to present Road King Standard. (does come with a passenger seat and windshield as standard) Just I don't use them.

View attachment 1935

Last edited:
Back