Free spirits xb12x belt tensioner

Re: Free spirits xb12x belt tensioner

Can they be taken off without slackening off the rear wheel?

Can you get these for 1200 Lightnings? My belt goes very tight about halfway through the suspension travel. I am sure it should be looser but when I loosen it, it looks like it will fall off.

Is there something wrong with my bike?

XBs have a fixed wheelbase, so as long as your belt is the correct spec, you should be fine. It is inevitable that as the suspension compresses and the rear wheel axle comes in line with the swinging arm axle and the centre line of the front pulley, it will reach it's tightest spot.

I quite like the idea of these tensioners, but they are a solution looking for a problem.

Hmm, my Sporty never seemed to give me problems, in fact I don't think I adjusted the belt in 15000 miles.

How does the 1200 Lightning compare in belt slack to a 1200 Sporty? Do you have to change the gearbox bearing on Sportys? Never thought about it and cant remember reading about it on hangout.

I realise this thread is a year old but thought I'd add to it, if it helps.

My Buell XB has a Free Spirits belt tensioner fitted but my output shaft bearing still failed. It's a huge expensive job to have a new one fitted :( Apparently, failure is a lubrication problem. Maz does a mod that allows you to occasionally oil the bearing manually.

The belt and pulley are in fine nick though despite running without guards, although it's only done around 13k miles.

Back