Fuel Filter

Just replaced one on a dyna that looked the same, was told by a dealer that they never replace them, which I find strange👍

Just replaced one on a dyna that looked the same, was told by a dealer that they never replace them, which I find strange👍
My service manual (2010 RKC) says change every 25k miles. Allegedly for some earlier bikes Harley said doesn't need doing for 100k, thats nonsense

May be partly a psychological effect, but bike seems to pick up and run smoother

Not just strange actually, dreadful. A Dealer admitting they dont service bikes correctly, way to go!

My service manual (2010 RKC) says change every 25k miles. Allegedly for some earlier bikes Harley said doesn't need doing for 100k, thats nonsense
It is in-fact the other way round, the Specification was 25K miles then later extended to 100K miles for 2012 Model year, (See below from H-D New Model Year Tech Forum).
I also believe it is retrospective and I will see if I can find the Tech Bulletin that say this.

Fuel filters will often go black in a very short time, does not necessarily mean they are blocked, you are far more likely to have issues with the feed pipe leaking and loosing fuel pressure from pin holes or cracks, so if going in there a good precaution is to replace that pipe!

1690354406632.png

It is in-fact the other way round, the Specification was 25K miles then later extended to 100K miles for 2012 Model year, (See below from H-D New Model Year Tech Forum).
I also believe it is retrospective and I will see if I can find the Tech Bulletin that say this.

Fuel filters will often go black in a very short time, does not necessarily mean they are blocked, you are far more likely to have issues with the feed pipe leaking and loosing fuel pressure from pin holes or cracks, so if going in there a good precaution is to replace that pipe!

View attachment 1196095
Ahh, fair enough about it being later bikes. But anyway going on the state of mine at just maybe 40k, I know they go dark quickly but mine was distorted quite badly. What are Harley saying has changed ? Fuel quality ? Doubtful, and Its the exact same filter/pump etc.

Back