Fuel Gauge Help

softail898

The Fuel Gauge is playing up intermittently on my FXST. I have tracked it down to the connector under the Tank. One of the two Connectors is distorted so not making a good contact. I was going to replace the connector but the wires are so short that I need to take the Fuel Gauge out completely. Here is the problem: the Gauge will not come out of the Tank. I know it is a push fit but I think the Rubber Gasket, (No. 10 in the Diagram), has "welded" itself to the Tank. I can twist the Gauge but it will not come out! Is there anything I can spray down the sides of the Gauge that will release the sticking Gasket or any other ideas as to how to get the bloody thing out?
Any help is much appreciated.

FXST FUEL GUAGE.JPG

When you twist pull upwards and wiggle from side to side its almost an interference fit it will come but its a bugger and needs hard coaxing its a mare , the fact it turns is good it will pop just dont wrench wires out (dont ask)…. 🫣

I have had it out before with no problem but now there is absolutely no give at all. I have tried Rocking it while pulling but it is solid, as if it is glued in place. Not surprising I suppose on a 23 Year old Bike. Hmmmm, where do I go from here? :unsure:
Where did i put that Hammer? 😳

Last edited:
As an aside, while looking at the Diagram I was Astonished at the cost of the Fuel Sender, nearly £240-00. FFS that is Ferrari prices! 😳

My faulty one was the screw that bolts the terminal down inside it drove me nuts in the end i put a cap on it and relied on the good old fashioned reserve tap far more accurate and reliable plus room for more fuel as the floats quite big

At last I got it out. Lots of rocking and pulling with sore fingers and it suddenly popped out. Now I can make up a new Harness a bit longer than the original.

IMG_2357.jpg

No, totally original. Never been touched. When I bought the Bike in 1999, a couple of months later and the Bulb blew. That was the first time I had to remove the Gauge to replace the Bulb.

The problem wasn't the rubber gasket, (No. 10), that just stops water from entering the space the Gauge sits in, it seems to be a hard black plastic that surrounds the Gauge (see picture). This slides over the Gauge and provides an interference fit to the Tank. It doesn't seem to be able to be removed from the Gauge, not that I want to. As dynalow said, upon refitting a smear of Vaseline on the Black Plastic thingy should make it easier to remove next time.

Back