Fxrs-sp

T

the_roadking

Hi guys!

Let's see if any of you can help me on this...
I've found, at a Lisbon dealer, a FXRS-SP.
Fabrication is August 1988 and only has 7070 kms on it.
One owner that sold the bike to this who was the original seller.
The bike is in mint condition, even the tires are stock!
The downside is the price tag, 10500?.
He doesn't sell for less, he is a bike collector and rather add it to his collection than low the price.
Maybe I can get new tires, battery and some kind of maintainance deal besides 1 year mandatory warranty.
What to you think of it?
Can you tell me more about the FXR's, particulary 1988?

Re: Fxrs-sp

If you are based in the UK, don't bother. Too expensive and that ridiculously low mileage is actually bad for the bike. It will cost you a wee bit to refresh stuff i.e. oil seals

FXRs are coming up for sale for ?6,000 here even in spring.

But if you based near Lisbon, are minted and very tempted cos they don't come up for sale there that often......

Nothing wrong with that year or model at all. No known issues. the ''-sp'' variant I believe stood for sport and maybe it got a tacho or something......it was just trim and add-ons really.

Has the tapered 84-89 clutch hub which did not take well to hot-rodding the motor, but obviously not a prob here.

If you are a little unschooled in Harley model history, the FXR (1982-1994) was a cruiser with rubber-mounted engine.

Now becoming collectable as the best-handling Harley ever made. Production stopped due to two issues:

1/ some buyer resistance to the ''Jap'' triangular frame
2/ costly to make.

Its replacement, the cheaper-to-manufacture Dyna, mimiced the styling of the classic 1970s/early 80s FX's, and was more of a hit with buyers.

Hope this helps

I live in a town near Lisbon.
And if I'll buy the bike, besides 1 year warranty, the seller should inspect and prepare the bike before I take it home.
A friend of mine has one just like this one. A daily rider, more than 100.000 kms on it.
And he told me that he only knows about 12 FXR in Portugal!
I know of 2 here and 3 at Spain.
They are very rare, because in the 80 they were very, very expensive and the people who could afford a Harley choose a softail or a touring.
The same still happens in Portugal with the Dynas, but now they are more affordable.
By the way 6000? are around 9000?
When I've started to own bikes in 1994 the new Dyna were already on the road.
My first Harley ride was on a Dyna Convertable at a biker bash :)
I know a bit about FXR but never owned one.
But already owned a 1200 Sportster, a Dyna Wide Glide and a Roadking Classic.
I really like that 80's look of bike, besides it is rare wich for me is a good thing.
Even the Evo Dynas are sold for more than 10000? and of course they don't have so little miles on it.
And God know in what shape they came.
I've sold my Dyna due to constant repair.
The previous owner and mechanic were really stupid and even the electric had to be remake at my charges :(
So now I really look at the state and condition of used bikes.
My 1200 was a used 1998 model with little more than 20000 kms on. I did almost another 20000 kms on a year and half that I've owned it.
I sold it due my back and right sholder. I've tryed to make it more touring, but it really hurst to ride it :/
Now I want a touring Harley or a FXR/FXD.
Thank you a million for your reply! :D

Last edited:

They are by common consent a much better handling bike than a Dyna.

Given the miles you like to ride, I think that this FXR will be *PERFECT* for you. It's not a big heavy bagger, but it will be bloody comfortable for alll-day riding.

Base gaskets might go sooner rather than later on a bike such as that -but that's a very common Evo problem. we can help save you Euro600 on a dealership job there.

That might be a good deal to you then - I have no knowledge of H-D prices there. Best of luck!

Hi mate

Ive got a Super Glide 1988 which i reckon is a great bike,the Sport i think has better front suspension giving it more ground clearance and maybe better handling than mine (mine is the base model).The engine is very easy to work on,and as K Dave says the base gaskets may weep after a while and maybe the rocker box gaskets,the rear r/box gasket being a little harder to fix as you have to tip the engine forward to clear the frame,but not to much hassel.Its easy to maintain and run,and doesn't have fuel inj.and other fancy stuff to get looked after by the dealer,you can do it all yourself. Price as Dave says is around ?5500 ?6000 in GB.

Good Luck

Chilly

I recommend this website, set up by a Danish guy who is something of an FXR nut:

http://www.hdfxr.dk/

This site is a delight to read - check out the 'FXR History' drop-down.

I run a 1989 FXR and am thrilled with the handling - ultra stable in a straight line and responsive in the twisties too - who could want more? :D

Hi Roadking I can recommend the fxr I have had my 1985 fxrs nearly 16 years made many mods check it out http://www.freewebs.com/harleyfxr, i live in Competa NE of Malaga spain moved here 3 years ago maybe we can meet up some day for a beer

Dale :cool:

Thanx you all for your kind attention and helping hand :)
Each day that passes I'm more and more into buying that bike!

i also have an fxrs-sp 92 ,but i thought the handling was crap ,i.m.o. lowered the front and back and put on decent tyres now the ferker handles
ef557bb2.jpg

Beautiful bike, congrats!
I'd like to have a better view at that saddle and paint job.

the_roadking said:
Beautiful bike, congrats!
I'd like to have a better view at that saddle and paint job.

Aye its no a bad lookin bike. But its not the best FXR in Scotland. The best is owned by me!!;) :D :D

the_roadking said:
Post some pics, then :)
he cant m8,the breakdown wagon willnae stay stopped lon g enough for him to get a pico his bike:D :D
the way she looked when i got her down at me work ,next to me cuz's bonnie
fc610ccc.jpg

me own paint
efe85b09.jpg

seat is a mustang item bought off e-bay for 60 quid
ef557bf8.jpg

dantheman said:
he cant m8,the breakdown wagon willnae stay stopped lon g enough for him to get a pico his bike:D :D
the way she looked when i got her down at me work ,next to me cuz's bonnie
fc610ccc.jpg

me own paint
efe85b09.jpg

seat is a mustang item bought off e-bay for 60 quid
ef557bf8.jpg

MEEEEOOOWWWW!!!:D

Nice Bonnie;) :)

Great bikes and fantastic job on the FXR :)

Very nice Dan, those Metzelers work a treat, just put a new one on the back of mine as Derek wore the old one out:eek:

Today I went to the dealer, I'm really in love for that bike!
But now he says that a customer is selling a 90' evo EG Classic for 13500?...

Back