Garage door security

Re: Garage door security

I can see me getting into a whole world of trouble with some of this kit :) Most excellent suggestions peeps and bloody good fun :)
I wonder whether just wiring the bikes to the mains would be a quick-fix? Again, you would have to be careful when teetering into the garage late at night after a wee drinkie, to check on the beauties Ha!

You need to pay a visit to the Almax security chains website. There are some good video's there, where they test most of the stuff available. Some of it only lasts for seconds before it's cropped through. IMO, the bottom line is, when you leave it outside the shops, chain it to something. A chain through the wheel will not stop it being lifted into a van. Alarms etc are all well & good IF you are in to hear them go off. As has been said, most people ignore an alarm & they won't want to try & stop half a dozen large chappies carrying your pride & joy away. Don't leave it outside for everyone to see, get it hidden ASAP. Crims are getting clever, they will use all manner of Google to look for victims. Out of sight, out of mind.

You are right that link does suggest that most of the thefts will be of smaller lower value bikes, presumably because they make up most of the numbers and less effort is spent securing them. However, while most larger machines are low to medium risk, if you look at the (poorly designed) table for larger bikes, of those, Harley has the second highest level of medium risk by age.

I ended up having to buy a secure shed (visit www.secure-a-bike.co.uk), as my insurers were unhappy that the bike was kept in a wooden shed, and it occurs to me that, if your garage is big enough, one of these could be accommodated inside it.I have the smaller of the three sizes available and, although a little "snug", it gives me peace of mind.I think, if some scrote gets past your garage door, these sheds would simply add to their problems, as getting into them would set the alarm off as well as having to get past any other security you might adopt.

Just a minor amendment to my last post - the website should be www.trimetals.co.uk and then go to their secure-a-bike link from there otherwise you get the wrong thing!

Easyrider magazine used to sell a shot gun alarm, it was a small metal box with a sprung loaded firing pin with a pull wire that set off a blank shotgun cartridge, like a mini claymore. Fkn brilliant

And don't leave Harley T-shirts flapping on the washing line - at least turn them inside-out
Cheers,
Pete

Or put 'my other car's a Harley stickers in the back window of the motor :)

Andy

Back