Gearbox

I have a 5 speed cassette sitting in a box in the shed, removed from FXR a couple of years back for a 6 speed casette.

Have been hesitant to sell it on in case I ever had an issue with the 6. What did you break? replacements casettes are available and reasonably well priced when compared to an entire gearbox

Hiya
Thanks fir mail👍not sure what’s going on a present with mine? Been in and out twice now and still have same issue, difficult if not impossible to go from 2nd to 3rd??
Replaced shifter forks, and bar, also had shifter arm out and replace spring! Top select pawl looks ok but nothing to compare with?
Can’t find any damage to dogs or gears in box? Something maybe shifter drum? Feed up trying to sort now as you probably know the hassle to go throught!!
Trying to find box to change so can get back on road?
Have another bike so stops me pulling hair our!! Lol

On the side of the gear box facing the primary there is an Allen screw with a lock nut it controls the selector pawl movement and range if it is not set correctly it will cause the symptoms you all describe by allowing the selector to travel too far so it will not engage correctly ,there is a method in the service manual for setting it up correctly and it has to be done each time the cluster comes out.
as a rule of thumb from distant memory with the cluster in box place lever on splines and tighten up then undo lock nut holding Allen bolt rock the arm back and forth turning Allen bolt until the lever is travelling the same distance either side of central point reassemble everything inc gear rod and linkage removing any slop as you go button it all up add oil and try it out hope this helps but check the manual as i have not done one for 17 yrs or so and i might have missed a bit with_glasses

Here is a pic showing the adjuster showing the locking nut and the Allen/hex screw….. its the one in the corner below the chrome cover and above the selector shaft
IMG_1024.png

Hiya
Yeah been through that even changed out selector pawl and new spring etc!! Made no difference?
That box is a later model maybe Dyna??
Cheers anyway👍😁

Back