Gold chains & rust?

howo

Club Member
Ok chains can have some rust. But I thought gold or “custom” finish chains had some protection from the coloured finish.
I just fitted a chain conversion kit & did a couple of rides before getting the wheels rebuilt. Cleaned the new chain, dried it off coated it in chain wax wiped off surplus then fitted. Did 120 odd miles then stored under a bike cover ( admittedly roads were salted) for 2 weeks.
New chain covered in rust!
So question for chain user’s :- Cheap chain supplied in kit? Or they all rust m8!
Just sold my Triumph Sprint 2008 bike been under a bike cover since 2008 with a waxed chain and no rust on that when sold last month. Standard non custom coloured chain..

I'd check the mfg's warranty fine print. What kind of rust or oxidation is it (several types). I wouldn't guess that custom coloured chains, where the colour was electroplated on the links, would be meant for exposure to harsh elements.
Did you , after a proper cool-down, hose off with fresh water the underside & rear of your bike before you covered it for the 2 weeks?

I'd check the mfg's warranty fine print. What kind of rust or oxidation is it (several types). I wouldn't guess that custom coloured chains, where the colour was electroplated on the links, would be meant for exposure to harsh elements.
Did you , after a proper cool-down, hose off with fresh water the underside & rear of your bike before you covered it for the 2 weeks?
Rust coloured rust. No I didn’t for various reasons wash it down grrr. One reason was I needed to jack her up and had to leave her outside under a cover.. and ofc didn’t reason it though that ofc a cover doesn’t mean your pride & joy isn’t going to be drenched in condensation in a plastic bag from that point on.
But what I’m asking here really is dose anyone who runs a bike year round in this country with a gold chain expect it to rust through overnight if they don’t religiously clean there bike and dry it ever time it gets wet in the winter?
I was led to believe that theses chains don’t rust. Otherwise why bother with gold if it instantly turns to rust. Salt or no.
I guess custom chains are for sunny days or peeps who are prepared to put in the hours of care and attention. Unless ofc it’s just a very cheap chain which came in this kit? Which really is my question.
Guess when this chain dies I’ll try a known manufacturer expensive chain.

Last edited:
I ran a gold chain on a Triumph Speed Triple - more than one, looking back (not at the same time, obvs). Can't recall the manufacturer, but they weren't cheap. No rust, and I rode through snow (I was both younger and much more stupid then). I think salt is probably a big factor here. I did make a point of 'washing off' after every mucky ride, and I suspect salt is a big factor here.

I ran a gold chain on a Triumph Speed Triple - more than one, looking back (not at the same time, obvs). Can't recall the manufacturer, but they weren't cheap. No rust, and I rode through snow (I was both younger and much more stupid then). I think salt is probably a big factor here. I did make a point of 'washing off' after every mucky ride, and I suspect salt is a big factor here.

Cheers, beginning to get the idea now that there a vanity item and require extra work.
Thanks

I had a gold DID on my Magnum for years and it never went rusty. Must be a dodgy one you have there.

I had a gold DID on my Magnum for years and it never went rusty. Must be a dodgy one you have there.
Yay cheers for that. I had my suspicions over the quality of this chain in so far as it’s a kit item , I don’t recognise the manufacturer’s name & generally company’s make savings where they can even though this kit is supposed to be the top of the range.
Now have to decide if it’s worth cleaning it up and sticking with it or spending another £100 +++ to pre long the life of the sprockets and hopefully the looks of the chain.
Thanks for passing on your experience

Back