Handlebars suitable for Batwing Fairing and stock heated grips

ss2

Club Member
I recently bought a 2016 Ultra Glide Low and I can't get away with the pull back on the stock bars. I've looked at various alternatives (looking at 10" to keep my mitts out of the breeze) but even the Harley own brand Tall Boy handlebars have installation info that states they won't work with stock heated grips. Has anyone any experience fitting a 10" ish bar with minimal pull back that works with them? Cheers. Vin

Agreed on those dreadful stock bars.

Have a look at KST bars, handmade in the USA. Polished stainless steel.

I have their Outlaw 10in mini-apes on my 2019 Road Glide and they are fantastic ... world of difference in comfort compared to stock and they do not rise above the fairing line (pet hate: people who buy a touring bike with fairing and then fit high apes to look ''bad-ass''....).

I had them installed pre-delivery at the selling dealership and then after one winter, I decided to go full-on Old Fart and get H-D heated grips fitted. No issue at all. Here's the look....

The KST website does not appear to offer Outlaw bars for your model.....but have a look around it for other mini-apes ... or maybe email or even call them about Outlaw fitment on yours....and also ask the vital quesiton about heated grip fitment.

https://www.kstkustoms.com/

Cheers KD. I'll have a look at the site. Sorry for the late response. Been doing 12hr shifts all week so not even looked at the forum.

Agreed on those dreadful stock bars.

Have a look at KST bars, handmade in the USA. Polished stainless steel.

I have their Outlaw 10in mini-apes on my 2019 Road Glide and they are fantastic ... world of difference in comfort compared to stock and they do not rise above the fairing line (pet hate: people who buy a touring bike with fairing and then fit high apes to look ''bad-ass''....).

I had them installed pre-delivery at the selling dealership and then after one winter, I decided to go full-on Old Fart and get H-D heated grips fitted. No issue at all. Here's the look....

The KST website does not appear to offer Outlaw bars for your model.....but have a look around it for other mini-apes ... or maybe email or even call them about Outlaw fitment on yours....and also ask the vital quesiton about heated grip fitment.

https://www.kstkustoms.com/
Dave,
I'm looking at the 12" Spearheads for my '19 Glide. The highest you can go (apparently) without a complete re-wire.
Trouble is, the import duty is more than the bars almost......wondering if there is anywhere else that does them.
I'm kind of fixated on these, which is probably not a good thing.

I put 10" LA Choppers Black 10" Grande Twin Peaks Handlebar on mine. Keeps the hands shielded.
If you see bars you like in the USA, speak with ARH Custom, to see if they can source them. I recently bought some LA Choopers bars for my Wide Glide through ARH and they were a good £100 cheaper than ebay, JP Cylces, Revzilla, by the time shipping and import duties were added.
1665681597927.png

Dave,
I'm looking at the 12" Spearheads for my '19 Glide. The highest you can go (apparently) without a complete re-wire.
Trouble is, the import duty is more than the bars almost......wondering if there is anywhere else that does them.
I'm kind of fixated on these, which is probably not a good thing.
I went straight to them, not seen anyone else offering them.

If you love them, suck it up. Small extra price to pay if the bike is a keeper. And no one else in the neighbourhood will have them, that's for sure.

These 12 inch mini apes are standard off a Street Bob, it may be worth looking to see if they will fit your bike, mine here is a 2003 Road King. They are as cheap as chips and I didn't have to change any cables/wires. (y)

Gav test 1.jpgCapture.JPG

Thanks but they won't fit mine. HD do do a mini ape and a tall boy handlebar to fit but both say they won't work with the stock heated grips. Dunno why though. They also say that I'll need extra parts but don't say what. helpful eh :ROFLMAO: . Guess I'll have to ask the question at the dealer, but I don't want to pay their prices for fitting if I can help it.

Hi mate hope your seated its gonna hurt and thats looking on jerseys site you may find em on flea bay ect got a cheap set for a 48 for someone recently new from m+p Swansea harley
here are the part numbers you need to fit a 16 plate glide with heated grips and any bars you choose they must have the castellation cut outs on the end on the right for the throttle sensor to seat in it can all be fitted at home if you have the patience and a workshop manual
69200722 throttle jumper
56100034 heated grip set
32700050a sensor twist grip assy
hope this is useful (y) :cool:

Reactions: M&M
Holy :poop:! £360 in 'extras'. Thanks for the reply watchman, very useful. How come you need to replace the heated grips and twist grip assembly that are already on?

Aah sorry thought you were retro fitting in that case if your careful you may be able to remove the throttle position sensor and reuse and just remove the Deutch connectors at the end of its lead and pull the entire unit back through the tps has a habit of breaking when you try to remove it make sure you take pics of the back of each connector so the wires are replaced exactly as they come apart for reference as to wire the bars you need to open all of them and the same procedure for the switches it’s a fiddly job and takes time but worth it for the ride i did mine on 11 sets of bars on my softail till i got it right position wise and now a total reverse shoulder replacement has put me back to square one…. horrified

Reactions: ss2
Great thanks for that, so is the throttle jumper needed then? (assuming optimistically that nothing gets broken)

No as its all connected anyway its just i would be tempted to have a tps spare ready in case it breaks on removal the reason harley say that you cant fit heated grips ect to apes is cable length and they dont do extension kits for the wires depending on height you should have enough length in the wires and loom without having to extend them its when you get above the 12-14 inch high mark it becomes a pain and you get to practise your soldering skills…..

hope this helps, i watched it twice before i changed my bars 2019 street glide cvo, i went with 12 inch meathooks, took me six hours but took my time and all working ok when finished
Thanks for that Swedishspark. Very useful.

Back