HELP: Front Fork Slider 91 FLHS

P

Panda

Guys I desperately need some help. Having just bought a new tyre for the bike and putting it all back together I have a major disaster. While tightening up the nuts on the axle cap I have managed to shear one of the bolts. I was only doing it by hand and trying to guage the 9-13 lbft so thought I was being gentle:( Looking at it I cant see if the bolt can be removed and replaced without replacing the whole fork slider. It would appear that the bolt is tapped into the slider (assuming the bolt is steel and the slider ally)but I don't want to cause anymore damage if I can avoid it by trying to remove it. It would appear that I'm now faced with either; removing the bolt if possible (please say it is) and replacing it, or, I'm going to have to replace the whole slider (ouch:mad: ). The only other option I can think of is to grind down the one side of the axle cap to allow the nut to bite on the thread of the bolt. Problem is that I dont know how safe this would be to do. Having only just got back from 4 months away I'm desperate to get the bike on the road so any help gratefully received.

Panda:(

Re: HELP: Front Fork Slider 91 FLHS

Sorry to hear about that Panda. You are going to have to get the sheared stud removed, it can be done with the correct gear, best not to try those easiouts as they can snap. best bet is to get the leg off and if you can't do it yourself, take it to a machine shop or a good bike shop. Do not grind any metal off the cap (MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE).
Then get a new stud fitted (or 2 new ones).

Hope you get this sorted ok.

robbiemac said:
Sorry to hear about that Panda. You are going to have to get the sheared stud removed, it can be done with the correct gear, best not to try those easiouts as they can snap. best bet is to get the leg off and if you can't do it yourself, take it to a machine shop or a good bike shop. Do not grind any metal off the cap (MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE).
Then get a new stud fitted (or 2 new ones).

Hope you get this sorted ok.

Thanks mate,
any idea which way the stud goes in, is it a reverse thread as there is about half of it still on so may be able to get two nuts on it and get it out that way using one nut against the other. I would imagine that it will be loctited in so will be difficult to get out. Shouldn't think I can even heat it because of the ally slider:confused:

Why are things never as simple as my mind:eek:

Not totally sure but i reckon it will be a normal thread, you can apply some heat with a hot air gun without getting it too hot if you keep the nozzle moving.

take the slider off, clamp in soft jaws and just use a good extractor kit like this one:

http://mactools.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNum=SE10

but yeah, NOT cheap easy-outs, when they snap you are then faced with costly spark erosion.

I actually have this set if you want to borrow.....one of the tiny drill bits snapped but I think I still have what you want....

PS but try heat first....of course you can use heat. Your motor is alloy and that gets, uh, pretty hot!!!!!!

Cheers guys for all the replys. will try it tomorrow with a hot air gun and a couple of nuts on the stud and see if that works. Dave, if it doesn't work then I may try the set you have so thanks for the offer, there is a good chop builder near me who may have the know how and tools so will also give him a call tomorrow. Looked at the price of a new slider ?250:eek: so hoping that it wont come to that or it will be bread and water till xmas.

Panda

Thanks to all for the replys. Job is now a good un all sorted thanks to a hot air gun and a set of mole grips. Replaced the studs with appropriate sized hex bolts from Cycle Haven, added some loctite and a torque and all seems well;) Sum total of fix ?1.14:D

Panda

Glad you got it sorted :)

Spen :cool:

Back