help with big tyre

john i o m

right steve my ass rep has a vrod the muscle one which has a 240 rear ...... now steve wants to put a 300 on so the questions are has anyone on here done it , or can do it , or knows places to go to get it done
oh and by the way we are not after it wont handle ,it will look crap ect ect its HIS BIKE AND THATS WHAT HE WANTS !!!
if any one can help with helpfull answers that would cool :wink:

Re: help with big tyre

A 300 conversion is big bucks , all the info is on 1130cc.com though.
Some have managed to squeeze a 280 onto the stock rim.......

I'm not sure what an 'ass rep' does for you though :)

Steve

Thanks for your input.

Yup, I'm John's Ass Rep - as for what I do for him, don't ask.....

I love my VRod Muscle, but have thought for a long time that although the 240 initially was awesome, it wouldn't hurt to have something a little wider.

After all...... If you're going to have one, have a big 'un !

My options appear to be simple :-

1. Buy a custom swinging arm kit and a set of new wheels
Cost approx.... sell both kidneys.
2. Have the existing swinging arm widened and a set of new wheels
Cost approx.... sell one kidney
3. Fit a Metzeler 280/35 VR18 on to the existing 240 rim.
Cost approx.... three groats and a bag of fava beans.
In the short term, it would appear to be a bit of a no brainer. Fit a 280 and see if it's what I'm after. It maybe that some time in the future, I will yearn for a 315 or even a 360 because 280 will not be enough.

Has anybody tried a 280 and if so, are there any 'special' requirements or does it just fit ?

People say that size isn't everything - clearly those people don't run a 240 on the rear.

oh so you decided to listen to me for a change!!!!! i told you and told you to go the 280 way !!!!!! :tongue: no thats not what i want !!! but the price of a sportster cheaper !!! and you keep both kidneys !!! :wink::wink::wink::wink:

** Metzeler ME880 280/35 VR18 **

** ORDERED ! **

:439:

Now we (or rather I) shall see . . . . .

** IT FITS **
When you first put the new tyre behind the bike, it's difficult to see how its going to fit.

A standard 240 tyre when fitted, measures approx. 225.
A 280 on a 240 rim measures approximately 250 , so I've gained just over an inch in width.

The belt clears the tyre by a couple of mm.

It does look noticeably wider.

Does it look the business ? Yes. . . . . pretty much.

Is it worth paying that bit extra over a standard 240 ? Yes. A lot cheaper than re-engineering for a 300.

Does it handle? Even though I've only about 6 miles on it, it's no worse than the 240 and not sure if it's just the new tyre feel, but it does feel smoother.

Back