High Beam indicator lens in Blue

Bert

Club Member
Good day Folks,

I'm rebuilding my 1972 Sportster which I've owned for 20+ years and it came with a blue High Beam indicator lens.
Unfortunately time, sunlight and vibration have taken their toll.
The 'correct' period lens is Red but I'll be honest.
When riding at night I don't like to see a red light, it looks like a warning light.

I believe one of the big twins had a this type of blue lens but I've not been able to find out which model neither have I been able to find anyone who can supply a blue high beam lens.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bert.

Blue High beam lens.jpeg

I'm with you on not wanting a red high beam light. Bev used to have a old Renault with a red high beam light, it used to scare the pants off me every 15-20 minuets when driving at night.

"Shovelhead tandem dash used blue and sometimes an orangy colour + pink I believe.

I got mine through Skip over in Florida. There are still some OEM ones about, but not cheap. I think Storehouse do repops."

El Hombre,
could expand on 'Skip in Florida' ? I don't know who that is.

Thank you Watchman, for the Riverside suggestion, I've not found anything in eBay but I've only really had a very quick scan so far.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Bert.

"Shovelhead tandem dash used blue and sometimes an orangy colour + pink I believe.

I got mine through Skip over in Florida. There are still some OEM ones about, but not cheap. I think Storehouse do repops."

El Hombre,
could expand on 'Skip in Florida' ? I don't know who that is.

Thank you Watchman, for the Riverside suggestion, I've not found anything in eBay but I've only really had a very quick scan so far.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Bert.

Hi Bert, Skip is a club member who lives in Florida. He was able to find an OEM lens for me and send it over. We ended up doing a bit of a trade.

The lens colours were a bit controversial at the time. With lens shape and colour being disputed by club members.

Here's the original thread:-

Hi Bert, Skip is a club member who lives in Florida. He was able to find an OEM lens for me and send it over. We ended up doing a bit of a trade.

The lens colours were a bit controversial at the time. With lens shape and colour being disputed by club members.

Here's the original thread:-

El Hombre,
Thank you.
For the info and for the link to the thread.
As always on this forum, informative and fun to read.
As I'm not being a slave to originality with my Sportster I had thought to go for any blue or any non red lens colour I could find but thanks to now knowing the part number and model bike I'm looking for I've been able to find a couple of the blue lenses I would prefer, on the internet but they don't ship to Germany where I'm stationed at present. So I'm in contact hoping I can get them to change their minds.
I may try to contact Skip if Riverside and or the American gents can't help.

Again thats for your help.

As a thought folks, especially if flat topped, or even slightly curved.. i may be able to produce a solid but transparent Blue that will withstand the elements..? if we can make it fit....
Just a thought, would happily give it a go.. FOC of course..
Titch

As a thought folks, especially if flat topped, or even slightly curved.. i may be able to produce a solid but transparent Blue that will withstand the elements..? if we can make it fit....
Just a thought, would happily give it a go.. FOC of course..
Titch
Hi Titch,
I guess you have access to a 3D printer or some such clever technology.
If I sent you the broken blue one I have and a red intact one.
Then in theory you could use the dimensions of the red one and the blue one for the colour sample and lettering font.

Have I got this correct?

Hi Bert,
to be honest I don't do 3D print work.. but it could be the way if a complete 'shape' is required.. OR CNC acrylic routing?? I was only relating to colourfast vinyls in all honesty.. and it is a minefield out there, relating to the external elements and indeed the 'heat' internally from a bulb..
However, there are folk out there that fully understand the necessity of all.. it's just finding them and someone that understands the 'physics'
I do know of a firm in the Netherlands, called Luximprint, might be worth a 'Google' I believe they have produced similar for the car restoration guys, who, like us, attain to get closest to originality...
Also, at the end of the day, creating a 'font' style, like my work, the letters are basically, just a 'shape'....
Try them, or similar.. but you will need to get the right folks that understand what the end product will endure....
Titch

My 1982 Sturgis uses the blue one, part number 67899-68B as seen above.

My three different factory parts books of various 1980s vintage seem to agree that it was more common on 1982-1984 FX Shovels with the twin-clocks on the tanks i.e. FXS Low Rider, FXB Sturgis, FXEF Fat Bob.

The original one is pricey now, but I have had to buy a couple because 2 have so far ''ejected'' through bulb spring pressure, splitting into two pieces on me, after removing a nasty red bullet-shaped lens that was on the bike when i got it.

Irritating. But I have taken forensic steps with the third one now in place.

The V-Twin aftermarket version, part number 39-0888, is cheaper and I would probably use that in your situation. You can tell the difference, it uses slightly more condensed and taller ''HIGH BEAM'' letters. Both versions are for sale all over the USA eBay site. Your local V-Twin catalogue dealer shoiuld be able to get that one without much trouble.

I had to go OEM for trainspotter peace of mind........

Thank you for the V-Twin part numbers and notes KiwiDave.
I've ordered a pair of V-Twin lenses.
They appear to be a little less opaque compared with the one I have but I'll change the bulb wattage to get the 'glow' I desire.

Thanks one and all for your input.

Hogparts do a complete repop high beam assembly for Shovel FX and Sportys if it helps.

Bought them via FleaBay USA.
Surprisingly no issue with importing them to Germany.
The 'Zoll' must have been having a be nice day.

Hi Bert,
Would that I had caught your thread sooner. I've half doz. lens & 3 complete (blue) light assemblies.... all genuine parts.
If you read the past post I can reference that the dye I bought was used successfully to dim down.... or spread out... the over brightness of the bulb, so the blue was a pleasent, even glow, instead of being over-glaring.... esp. at night. I had to paint & repaint the bulb a coupl'a times in a coupl'a different ways to get it jes right.

Back