Highway pegs use

wilkyman

Club Member
Can anyone advise please? I've invested in a set of highway pegs ready for a trip around the Baltic region in the summer, only to allow me to stretch/rest my legs on the long motorway stretches through Belgium, Holland and Germany at the beginning and end of the trip. Are they actually legal to use without forward controls? Not that I intend to buy any, just so I know!

Re: Highway pegs use

Hmmm sticky one

I would have thought that to the letter of the law you are not in full control

however I had highway pegs on my sporty and found that I could use the rear brake with my heel with my foot on the highway peg.

The only time I took my foot off was to change up as I could also change down with my heel.

In my opinion (which doesn't count for a lot) get them and use them as it would be a really exacting and petty copper that does you for using them

They used to be a standard fitting on Low Riders......when Low Riders were Low Riders.....

Cheers guys, that's pretty much my own thoughts, though I do remember reading Easyriders (before the women became more modified than the bikes) and there being talk that the forward controls were also required in certain states - just wondered if it was something happening this side of the pond.

Thanks for that too, that seems to emphasise doing "wrong" things rather than doing things to aid comfort and therefore concentration - nice one Steve

I guess its a bit like cruise control - not on the pedals etc but a quick shift n your back in the pilots seat. car or bike.

Another good point but I think that throws up a different problem - I seem to remember reading a couple of years ago that cruise control was banned on Belgian motorways, after too many people had driven/ridden into the backs of trucks on long uphill sections! Not that it's an issue for me as my bike hasn't got that anyway.

That little thumb wheel on the underside of your throttle grip is HDs crude form of cruise control. It locks the throttle position. Nothing illegal in that. Also the Fat Boy has running boards so you feet are not in contact with the shifter peg or brake anyway most of the time.

The little twisty is to adjust the friction spring. It is not a cruise control system.

Yeah, I'm aware of the twist wheel, never liked to use it if I'm honest - mind you, my last two cars have had cruise control and I never even looked into using it anyway!

i often wondered about this as i use mine quite a lot.
thinking about it, your feet are to control the brake and gear change on a bike. when driving a car you don't have your hand on the gearstick all the time and your foot is usually on the accelerator.
i'd think you'd struggle to get a pull for using them unless you're riding like a loon. same as for everything in my humble opinion, you wouldn't use them through a town centre so a bit common sense always works well.

was this posted on 01/04/16........ :tears_of_joy: made me grin
No, it was a genuine question - like I say, I remember reading in Easyriders (years ago) that riders were hassled by the cops for just the pegs without forward controls. Just curious!

maybe in the states i think they are more worried about small plates here and abroad for speeding fines... :tongue:

When we did Route 66 all the hire Glides had highway pegs, I have them on mine and find them excellent for stretching legs/changing position but be careful until you get used to them, I went for the brake a few times.

To me the answer to the use of these pegs is in the name of the thing. ''Highway Pegs''
ONLY use them on stretches of road where you are not likely to need your rear brake in an emergency.

I hate seeing people using them in built up areas because the split second needing your emergency braking skills in built up traffic is delayed by one very dangerous second.

I've had them for years and they are great when on a long run like 5 hours but I'd never contemplate using them anywhere but motorways where the road is clear in front, and I'm usually in front. :D

I don't need to use them much now since I have had the USA Police air sprung seat, it's so comfortable on the arse and legs, obviously designed for cops to be in the saddle all shift.

i hated them took them off my bike and they will be in the harley auto jumble at our rally Don't forget any bits you want to sell or swap bring it down to the international

Back