Home lock up

M

mistertee

Just a quick one regarding those bike safe lock up jobbies. Just bagged myself a new house but unfortunately have no garage or means of access around the back for my FXR.
Just wondered if anyone has any experience with secure lock ups. Obviously has to be something of a decent size and not too much of an eyesore as will be on the front of my drive.
Cheers, Mark

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Home lock up

Anything in front of the building line can be a minefield.If it's an older house with enough front garden to partialy hide something with shrubs,you might get away with it.If it's a new build,you'll not only have problems with planning dept,but there could well be a covenant that forbids things on the drive,including comercial vans and caravans.

Last edited:

Of the above,the first is a non starter in front of the building line,it's a shed or outbuilding.
The other two could be used as they're covers,but would need some sort of alarm fitted to the front catch.

The problem with shelters is that they usually HUGE, especial ones that fit Harleys. They cannot be made to look good.

Simplest solution is a large Oxford Stormex rain cover, ground anchor and Oxford Monster chain.

Of the above,the first is a non starter in front of the building line,it's a shed or outbuilding.
The other two could be used as they're covers,but would need some sort of alarm fitted to the front catch.

And Thatcham or Sold Secure etc spec ground anchors and security chain.

You can't have the steel bike safes on the front? I was under the impression that its classed as portable so would be ok.
Just paranoid my bike will get half inched but got no other option :(
Those covers look ok though, outa site outa mind and all that. Just going to be awkward trying to find one of suitable size as I've got apes, saddles and the like.

Shed, dog kennel etc are all classed as outbuildings, so the relevent rules apply. Certainly anything in front of the building line (house) would need to be applied for and likely refused. A 'portable' structure would need wheels (like all the ad trailers parked in fields by the motorways) so maybe this is an avenue you might want to explore....small rollers on the outside, but anchored from the inside ?.....just a thought ?.
I'm not an expert in planning by any means, so dont take my suggestions as official guidance.

Shed, dog kennel etc are all classed as outbuildings, so the relevent rules apply. Certainly anything in front of the building line (house) would need to be applied for and likely refused. A 'portable' structure would need wheels (like all the ad trailers parked in fields by the motorways) so maybe this is an avenue you might want to explore....small rollers on the outside, but anchored from the inside ?.....just a thought ?.
I'm not an expert in planning by any means, so dont take my suggestions as official guidance.

There is a guy just down the road with a bike storage on his driveway so gonna have words with him when we see him and find out what the score is. Ta for the info :)

Back