HT leads

STS 95

Club Member
I decided that my HT leads need replacement, front plug cap rusty inside and poor connection to the plug. Anything relating to Harley starts at £35 rising to £70 or more. On E Bay I can get five 8mm silicone leads, 60cms long, plug caps and coil plugs for £15, All I have to do is cut to length. Am I barking up the wrong tree here or are these car leads good or bad ?

Try HOGPARTS - I bought high quality replacement leads that fit my bike perfectly and half the price of the OEM ones supplied by the dealer.

The leads on my Sportster are resistive in some way as part of the trouble-shooting is measuring what it is.

I don't know how important it is.

Get Magnecor Leads. Search online for Magnecor. They have Leads for Harleys to the correct length all made up. Quality stuff.👍🏻
Click HERE to download the Application List and Prices. 😀

Last edited:
The leads on my Sportster are resistive in some way as part of the trouble-shooting is measuring what it is.

I don't know how important it is.
Resistive Leads are for Radio Interfeerance Suppression. They are also required for Electronic Ignition IIRC.

I have just checked my Workshop Manual, TC 88 Softail, and the resistance of the H.T. Leads are:
4750 - 11,230 Ohms for the Long Lead and 1812 - 4375 Ohms for the Short Lead.
HTH.

I've been running the US-made Taylor spiro-core HT leads for 25+ years on kickstart only bikes and have never had issues. They come highly recommended for many electronic ignitions of choice. I bought a DIY kit once but my own hamfisted finish was never as clean as the manufactured ones and I ditched that idea.

A few years ago I fitted US made performance DRAG ht leads supplied by Hogparts. Superior to the OEM and slightly thicker with improved insulation and only £29. So just like previous posts, there is plenty of quality alternatives, as there is for so many parts that are often better than standard at far less cost!

Back