Identifying engine configuration 96/103

Martz

Club Member
Hi guys. A peculiarity with my Fat Bob, which I was aware of when I bought it back in August, but have only now got around to trying to verify.

So it's an American import.
From the VIN It's a 2011 model so it should be a 96" However it's on a UK '60' plate.
The air filter cover is a 103" Hardly definitive proof. :LOL:
The UK V5 registration document states Model as a 103 cu in. The engine capacity states1690cc.
I assume DVLA would take these details from the NOVA document?
Question 1/ Is there anyway apart from whipping a head off to see if the capacity is actually 1690cc?
Question 2/ Does anyone know a way to decipher the engine numbers?
I should add I'm not really bothered, about it, it is whatever it is, but would be nice to know.

My own thoughts are the previous US owner bought a 103 filter cover and the importer just wrote down the details he THOUGHT were correct onto the NOVA form. :unsure:

Thanks for your patience.

Martz. (y)

At the end of 2011 the fat bob engine size was increased from 96” to 103” along with the majority of the twin cams that year they started coming through from the factory around sept some dealers here and in the states had them for sale side by side as unsold stock overlapped with the new in 103” models so be mindful when buying parts
and the yanks got them first so yours is probably one of the first of the larger lumps

is this any help?

is this any help?
Thanks Chrissy, that confirms what I should have. (y)

17 digit VIN 1HD|1|GY|4|3|0|B|C|123456

1 Made in USA
HD- Harley Davidson
1 Heavyweight
GY FXDF
4 1584 ESPFI (96”)
3 California model – Regular introduction
0 Check number
B = Production Year 2011
C = Kansas City Production plant
123456 = 6 digit Production number

All I have to do now is find somewhere I can decipher the 10 digit engine number to see if it's what I actually have. Google is being most uncooperative. :rolleyes::)

So it appears all is well as the engine numbers match the VIN. All I have to do now is see if the previous US owner swapped anything over apart from the 103 air cleaner. That can wait until next winter as it's now back on its wheels and waiting to be ridden. (Weather permitting)
The California only charcoal cannister has got lost somewhere between California and here. Also CA models were fitted with and tuned to Catalytic converters, which is good as it now has a UK cat equipped standard pipe on it along with new O2 sensors. It previously had V&H Grenades with O2 eliminators fitted and really felt like it was holding back with them, it was also a pig to start. It now starts on the button and idles nicely, so hopefully it will ride better too.

Big thanks for the help fellas, truly appreciated. (y)

Question 1/ Is there anyway apart from whipping a head off to see if the capacity is actually 1690cc?
Do a compression test - a 96" will be around 175-180psi, a 103 will be 185-190psi. Also if it's a genuine 103 from the factory the heads have electronic compression release valves installed.

Do a compression test - a 96" will be around 175-180psi, a 103 will be 185-190psi. Also if it's a genuine 103 from the factory the heads have electronic compression release valves installed.
Thanks Alex. That's something that never occurred to me. As soon as I get a few minutes I'll have a look, although I'm 99% convinced the PO just stuck a 103 air cleaner on it and the importer assumed it was a 103. (y)

Back