Indicator switch

kev tilley

Club Member
Hi all, has anyone managed to fit a toggle switch assembly to the left handlebar to operate the indicators, as per all other makes, I still struggle to operate the right indicator especially on roundabouts, happy new year to you all.

Last edited:
Which Harley model?

Based on what little I know about Harley electrics...

I had the same question. Three bikes - 2008 Harley Dyna, 1992 BMW K100, 2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200 - that have three different methods of operating/cancelling the turn signals is very confusing. :) I found some info on converting the BMW, but nothing on the Harley.

The Harley doesn't appear to have a separate flasher relay - it's integrated with the security system (TSSM). That leads me to think that it would be easy enough to fit a different left switch cluster, new flasher relay, and new wiring to replace the existing wiring from switches to TSSM to bulbs, but that would lose the self-cancelling and I don't know how the modification would affect the TSSM.

Perhaps the change would make no difference.
Perhaps I'd need something to replace the electrical load of the four indicators that the TSSM is expecting to trigger.
Perhaps I could modify the existing wiring (by adding diodes?) and have the indicators operated by the new switch AND by the security module.

scratch_head

Last edited:
i have seen a sporty hard tail chop round here with a marine 3 way lever switch for indicators clamped to bars it appeared to be the 2 wires to the stock switchgear fed into either side from their normal loom point and treed along the bars and frame under the tank bike had a bulb horn and hi low beam as per Brit iron on the headlamp whole thing was a lash up but worked for him looked fugly to me recon could be better to persevere and practice using stock kit when you think about sorting switchgear both sides to make it work I dare say there is a bar micro switch combination available in the aftermarket but it will involve changing a lot of parts from stock and the the cost may well make your eyes water when totalled up think one off custom build and you will get my drift 🤷‍♂️

The TSSM change would need to be coded to the ignition module for the bike to play on an 08 dyna plus finding inch bar switch gear may be hard the load would need an equaliser if changed to LED indicators but not if only changeing switch gear and utilising TSSM and loom

The TSSM change would need to be coded to the ignition module for the bike to play on an 08 dyna plus finding inch bar switch gear may be hard the load would need an equaliser if changed to LED indicators but not if only changeing switch gear and utilising TSSM and loom
I suppose I could test it by disconnecting all 4 indicators, or even just removing the bulbs, to see if the TSSM throws a fit. If it doesn't, then a new, completely separate, turn signal circuit might be OK.

Some of the Triumph "modern classics" have one inch handlebars (and Japanese cruisers?).

Hi, new to this forum but not new to bike wiring. So if I may I would like to give some input which may or may not be of use.
Looking at the wiring diagram for the 2000 model sportster it would seem that all the left and right switches do is provide a momentary connection when the switch is depressed. How long the switch is depressed for determines how long the indicators continue to flash if the bike is stationary or once the turn is completed (calculated by the TSCM (turn signal control module)). The connection the switches make is a live (+ve) feed onto a wire that then goes into the TSCM. Each turn switch goes to a separate wire to the TSCM.
So, a self centering toggle switch will do the job. Just connect a ignition switched live to the centre post and one of the two wires that goes to the TSCM to each end. The switch should then function as normal including the self cancelling function. Flick one way to start, flick same way to cancel, flick and hold for a couple of seconds for a longer duration.
HTH.

Nice one 👍the chop round here has to be wired that way with a switch off a boat been looking for him to ask details so could pass on type ect 👍😎

Back